PDA

View Full Version : which nano is best?

REDDAWG43
12/19/2006, 10:50 AM
I currently have a 46g bowfront...but I am seriously considering reducing and getting a nano. From the complete package nano set-ups sold out there at LFS...which is the best to get (most complete)
I plan on only getting soft corals, zoas, 1-2 fishes...not much more.
Opinions and pics of your current nano are greatly welcomed and appreciated.

Mel

sir_dudeguy
12/19/2006, 11:01 AM
get the 12g version of either the jbj nanocube or the biocube (i think biocube is 14 gallons tho...might be wrong). But both would allow you to keep 1-2 fish and soft corals.

Illuminati
12/19/2006, 11:11 AM
Dr Foster & Smith sells the 12 gallon nanocube for $180 (includes stand). Would be good for 2 small nano fish.

I love my 24 gallon cube though.

REDDAWG43
12/19/2006, 01:35 PM
I know the nano's will let me have what I want to keep (1-2 fish and soft corals)...but what I want to know is I have seen about 2-3 different name brands of nano complete set-ups being sold either online or at the LFS.
Comparatively speaking which is the best for the cost. I am sure one has one feature different from the other, one could probably be modified easier (if need be) than the other, does one actually have an advantage over the other or are they basically the same and I should just close my eyes and grab the first one I see???

Illuminati
12/19/2006, 02:03 PM
Biocubes, Aquapods & Nanocubes are basically all the same. Nice bowfront display area, hood with lights & fans, rear chambers to hide equipment, etc.....

Six of One, Half dozen of the other IMO :)

I think you should try to find an LFS that has some setup or on display, that would help you narrow it down between either the smaller (12-14) or larger (24-29) gallon setups.

TriniReefer
12/19/2006, 02:26 PM
Ok as soon as u read this messege go buy that nano cube on dr foster smith with a free stand.Nano Cubes are great.Don't listen to the stories about them cracking.Thats only the old models the new ones now are good now.That deal on drfoster smith is a great deal.I wish i waited a little longer to get mine and i could of gotten that deal.oh well

nirrad
12/19/2006, 05:41 PM
I like the top to my nanocube vs. the top to the aquapod. When you have those really hot days that you open the hood to vent, the nanocube has a much larger area than the aquapod. also, after the lights being on all day and you open the hood, all of the humidity runs down the back and front of the tank on my aquapod, but on the nanocube it all runs back into the tank.

I have a 12 nanocube and a 12 gal aquapod. so, from experience, my vote would be for the nanocube.

prison police
12/19/2006, 07:51 PM
I have a 24g nano JBJ. I like it, BUT the warrenty is only 6mo on the hood (lights and fans). I just recently had my lights,fans stop working.The ballast started blowing fuses everytime i placed a new fuse in.Contacted JBJ, $100.00 for new hood,about $65 for the ballast. Heck with that.The watts were only 72 watts so instead I contacted Premium Aquatics and purchased a Aqualight 96watts and took the JBJ hood off and made my tank topless. My new hood cost $90 total and I it done away with all the cords and the ballast laying on the shelf.Aqualight has it all into the unit w/ 4 fans.So to brief it up, I like my tank,did not like the the way the hood and all was made or the service from JBJ.Just my 2 cents worth.Chad

P.S.. The service sucked because the gentlmen recommended I took my ballast to a nearby petstore and plug it into one of there JBJ tanks to rule out a short in the lights. I told him he was crazy to think that the petstore would allow me to come over to POSSIBLY upset there system with my faulty crap equipment:mad:.Thats the only thing he said to me,now is that crazy? My system is little over 1 yr old.

Agu
12/19/2006, 11:21 PM
I may sound like a broken record but I won't buy any of them . A 10 or 15 or whatever gallon tank is cheap and you can spend the extra money on quality accessories.

mdisalvo55
12/20/2006, 01:48 AM
I have the biocube and so far it's doing excellent...A really well made tank. I would be choosing between that and the nano cube (they did fix that cracking issue with the new ones and that is a pretty sweet deal on drs. foster and smith so weigh that into consideration).

luv2reef
12/20/2006, 09:26 PM
bio cube from oceanic, great power compact lighting great for corals, plus their warranty is outstanding....gl

REDDAWG43
12/28/2006, 08:03 AM
I think I will be going with the Biocube...not sure
what size. Thanks for all the info, and opinions.

oceandrops
12/28/2006, 11:09 AM
Oceanic Biocube BC29

Bebo77
12/28/2006, 11:28 AM
jbj warranty is a joke... go oceanic...

roader247
12/28/2006, 11:47 AM
I got the Bio Cube had a JBJ that the ballist went out no big deal to fix but then the tank cracked and flooded my floor and lost everything I think they have fixed this problem but these are just my experiences Good Luck