PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a stupid purchase

Jeanniee
12/19/2006, 11:08 AM
I recently purchased a combo rock from Dr. Mac's and the thing had grown like crazy and now I want to spread stuff out.
Can I cut the base of the small leathers and attach them to another rock?
How can I get a large frilly mushroom off the same rock without causing any damage?
Can I cut the base of a pom pom zenia without killing it?
Thanks,
Jeannie

gobind
12/19/2006, 12:03 PM
Hi to all your questions, its yes. When comes down to the mushroom, using a sharpe knive just simpply take it off from ithe rock its on. Or you could cut the mushroom in half, and leave one part on the rock, and use the part on a seperate rock.

kiknchikn
12/20/2006, 01:03 PM
I agree. You shouldnt have any problem just cutting them off and attaching them to other rocks. I'd use the toothpick method to do so (put a toothpick through the frag and use a rubber band to hold the frag to the rock by wrapping it around the ends of the toothpick).

CarlC
12/20/2006, 04:09 PM
You could also use a chisel to remove a thin layer of rock under the mushroom stalk. With the thin layer of rock it will be easy to glue to another rock or help with keeping it upright if you place it on the sand.

Carl

Jeanniee
12/20/2006, 05:30 PM
Thanks carlc I may take that approach as I would like to put them on my sand bed but don't want them rolling away. I seem to have bad luck with attaching things and then they disappear.

CarlC
12/20/2006, 06:04 PM
If you should happen to break away the chip on the bottom you can always lay the mushroom on the sand and cover it with the green mesh containers that strawberries come in. Leave it covered for a week or two to make sure it has time to attach to the sand. If it should blow around in the container it will eventually attach to the container. You can then just cut away the container leaving some extra container to serve as an anchor in the sand.

Carl

kiknchikn
12/21/2006, 08:57 AM
You can do the same thing with a small glass jar with pebbles in it and bridal veil covering it. Or for really small mushrooms that roll around easily you can use the bridal veil to lightly hold it against against a rock until it attaches.

Jeanniee
12/21/2006, 03:13 PM
thanks kiknchikn