PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Thickness

The Saltwater Kid
12/19/2006, 01:48 PM
I'm thinking of making my own sump. I would start with a basic, 10g all-glass aquarium and then make the corner overflow, bubble trap etc. out of acrylic. My question is what thickness of acrylic would you use for this? What pump would you recommend (main tank would be approx. 3 ft. above sump)? Also how would you make a simple but effective weir or do you really need one (or would you just buy one premade)? Thanks!!!

BrokeColoReefer
12/19/2006, 02:22 PM
depends on how tall the sump is, but 1/4" is the standard. You dont have to worry about bowing to much with the baffles holding it together.. but depending on the design, and the placement of the baffles that can change. If you dont plan on to many baffles you just need to brace the top. I would say 1/4" is good for anything 18" or less thats well supported.

The Saltwater Kid
12/19/2006, 03:09 PM
Now I am not making the whole thing out of acrylic, just the corner overflow part and bubble trap pieces...the rest is a regular glass 10g tank. Do I still need to use 1/4" or would 1/8" be good enough?

BrokeColoReefer
12/19/2006, 05:59 PM
1/4 is easier to work with, but 1/8th would be fine. I would use 1/4 for the baffles. There about the same cost.