PDA

View Full Version : Live Rock from Premiumaquatics

DeltecRules
12/19/2006, 02:11 PM
I ordered 40 pounds of cured Figi rock from you folks and recieved it thursday and this is what I got. Sorry for the late photos. But this was taken thursday. Not really much coraline algae as you can see from the photos. kind of looks like base rock. Jeremy is this how the cured figi is suppose to look like? I see photos of your cured figi on your website and looks nothing like it.I know cured live rock looses some life and coraline, but these rocks are pretty much bare.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/104218mini-108-0851_IMG.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/104218mini-108-0849_IMG.JPG

stewie24
12/19/2006, 06:01 PM
I'd let the coraline take over on its own. Thats some impressive looking fiji IMO. I ordered a mix of marhsall / fiji nano rock from them this past summer and the marshall was covered in coraline, yet the fiji had little to none. Didn't take mine long to get growing on it. I ordered fiji from marine depot live and it was the crappiest looking rock (not to mention void of life) i've ever seen. The mix I got from PA didn't appear to have many critters, but after having it in my system for 8 months i'm seeing alot of new life appearing.
Stewie

Jeremy B.
12/20/2006, 08:08 AM
Hi DeltecRules,

That is very common for Fiji. We basically have two different types of Fiji available to us.

The first one being a really nice coralline colored up rock, that is essentially round with no little caves, fingers, nooks, crannies, etc. This is also pretty dense stuff.

The second type of Fiji available to us what you received. This Fiji doesn't have a whole lot of coloration to it, however the shapes and density of the rock are excellent, almost rivaling that of Marshall Island in some cases.

We push this type of rock because we feel it is much more important to have a good base of life and excellent shapes, as well as surface area, than what it is to have the coloration. The color will always come (typically within a matter of just a few weeks you will start seeing a difference), so it's very important to pick out the shapes and rock with a lot of surface are for maximum biological filtration.

Keep in mind too that we tank every bit of our rock in water. When you see a lot of people who receive a box of rock that is just bursting with coloration this is rock that has been setting in a box since it was pulled out of the ocean. You can keep coralline algae on rock that is just pulled out of the ocean and set dry for about 3-4 weeks without it changing much in appearance at all, however once you put that back in the water it will bleach white on you. Our rock hits the pools about 36 - 48hrs after it has been pulled from the ocean. When it hits our water we do get some dieoff of coralline algae, which is unavoidable, however the macro and micro life in and on the rock survive just fine and repopulate itself very quickly by doing this.

If you have any questions please feel free to let us know. I really like the pieces you received as well, almost doesn't even look like Fiji! Now once it gets some color back in your system I'm sure you'll be extremely happy with it! :)

Galloyien
12/20/2006, 08:30 AM
DeltecRules,
I got the same rock you have in November. Mine didn't have any coraline either when it arrived but it's already starting to pop out here and there and that is pretty good considering my calcium is only in the 350's. I also have a few plants starting to sprout too. I love the shapes. I'd definately take good shapes over pretty colors that will come out eventually.

Give it a month. :)

reefkeeper1
12/20/2006, 06:00 PM
What are the main encrusting organisms that contribute to such interestingly-shaped live rock?

DeltecRules
12/20/2006, 09:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8791216#post8791216 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jeremy B.
Hi DeltecRules,

That is very common for Fiji. We basically have two different types of Fiji available to us.

The first one being a really nice coralline colored up rock, that is essentially round with no little caves, fingers, nooks, crannies, etc. This is also pretty dense stuff.

The second type of Fiji available to us what you received. This Fiji doesn't have a whole lot of coloration to it, however the shapes and density of the rock are excellent, almost rivaling that of Marshall Island in some cases.

We push this type of rock because we feel it is much more important to have a good base of life and excellent shapes, as well as surface area, than what it is to have the coloration. The color will always come (typically within a matter of just a few weeks you will start seeing a difference), so it's very important to pick out the shapes and rock with a lot of surface are for maximum biological filtration.

Keep in mind too that we tank every bit of our rock in water. When you see a lot of people who receive a box of rock that is just bursting with coloration this is rock that has been setting in a box since it was pulled out of the ocean. You can keep coralline algae on rock that is just pulled out of the ocean and set dry for about 3-4 weeks without it changing much in appearance at all, however once you put that back in the water it will bleach white on you. Our rock hits the pools about 36 - 48hrs after it has been pulled from the ocean. When it hits our water we do get some dieoff of coralline algae, which is unavoidable, however the macro and micro life in and on the rock survive just fine and repopulate itself very quickly by doing this.

If you have any questions please feel free to let us know. I really like the pieces you received as well, almost doesn't even look like Fiji! Now once it gets some color back in your system I'm sure you'll be extremely happy with it! :)

Thanks Jeremy, it does look nice rock. Just have to be a little patient here. I will be ordering more tommorrow from you. Looks like I might need another 15-20 pounds. I can see some coraline in the rock I already have. Ill give it a little more time and take some more pics in a couple of months and show the progress. Jeremy is it okay to try some ozone to help in the cycle process? My tank is established replacing 50 pounds of dead rock I was wondering if ozone now would have any effect on the live rock when its still cycling in the tank. I don't want any good things dying off of my rock.

Scott

DeltecRules
12/20/2006, 09:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8791332#post8791332 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Galloyien
DeltecRules,
I got the same rock you have in November. Mine didn't have any coraline either when it arrived but it's already starting to pop out here and there and that is pretty good considering my calcium is only in the 350's. I also have a few plants starting to sprout too. I love the shapes. I'd definately take good shapes over pretty colors that will come out eventually.

Give it a month. :)

ll give it time. I is nice rock but I guess I can be a little impatient sometimes. I been dosing my tank with some two part from ESV and some strontium, trying to gow some of the coraline algae out.

Scott

Jeremy B.
12/21/2006, 08:42 AM
Scott,

I would not recommend running any ozone until the rock is well established and you are seeing a nice explosion of life in, on, and around the rock at night when the lights are out. There's no reason to really take any chances now of deterring the life from populating as quickly as possible.

Thanks,
Jeremy