PDA

View Full Version : Chiller Flow Question?

N_V_S
12/19/2006, 05:04 PM
Currently have a 1/10 chiller hooked up to a Mag-Drive 7 for my 40gal tank, and I was wondering if I can install a higher GPH pump for my return?

I was thinking about using a 1200GPH pump in conjunction with a SCWD wavemaker. Will 1200GPH be too much for a 1/10 chiller? My concern is that the water will not stay in the chiller long enough to cool down the water.

N_V_S
12/20/2006, 10:44 AM
Anyone...

Lutefisk
12/20/2006, 03:36 PM
There isn't a problem with faster flows it actually increases the overall heat transfer (larger delta-T) even though the water exiting the chiller is not as cold.

Where you might get less bang for the buck is the added heat of the larger submerged pump (assuming yours is submerged) (Negating frictional heating etc.).

In the end I would suggest reviewing the manufacturers recommendations. This should also help avoid running the chiller at too high of pressures.

If you want to increase flow in your tank you might look at some powerheads (Tunze Streams if you can afford them or Seios if you can't) or a closed loop.

Paul

N_V_S
12/20/2006, 05:36 PM
Thank you for the information! However, how does a close loop work? Also, what kind of external pump works well?

Lutefisk
12/21/2006, 08:48 AM
A closed loop has a pump intake directly from your aquarium and then returns it. If you do a search on "closed loop" on this forum you'll get a HUGE number of returns.

There are a couple advantages to a closed loop system.

The first is that other than a small amount additional "head" due to friction and fittings you are not continuously pumping against gravity - which is what you do when you pump from the sump. Let's say your running 600 GPH. At over 8 pounds per gallon that means that little pump is lift 4800 pounds of water probably around 4 feet every hour and you are paying the electric company for doing that.

The second is that external (non-submerged pumps) are usually used and they rely on air cooling rather than the water in your sump. To see just how much heat is generated put you MAG-7 in a 5-gallon bucket full of water, let it run for an hour, and then feel how hot the water has become.

The good news is that your MAG-7 is fully capable of being plumbed to run externally.

Unless your aquarium is already drilled for the closed loop you probably ought to consider using an even smaller return pump and put a couple powerheads in your tank for flow.

Paul