PDA

View Full Version : Ich question

Crazy One
12/19/2006, 08:46 PM
If I'm using quick cure in my tank for Ich and have removed all carbon, should I turn off my skimmer and pull out the filter pads( they start to turn blue)? I'm assuming I should leave on the
Uv steralizer to help kill any parasites.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

arizona tech
12/19/2006, 08:49 PM
deff turn off the skimmer it will take the meds out, good luck with that med, how bad is the ick?

Crazy One
12/19/2006, 08:57 PM
Not too bad only a couple fish have a few speks on them and some not, I did notice my powder blue has it worse than the others, (go figure turn the light on too fast and that thing gets ich) the funny thing is up untill a week ago I went almost 1 1/2 without any diseases untill I put that dead starfish crap in there.
I raised temurature gradually to 80 degrees and the SG to 1.016, it's about time to do a water change, not untill this cycles first though.

arizona tech
12/19/2006, 09:18 PM
what do you mean dead starfish crap? how was ick introduced? i take it you are doing hypo

Crazy One
12/19/2006, 09:31 PM
I'll try and explain it in the shortest way possible. I had recieved a small piece of dad corral and 2 dead star fish from the Gulf of mexico from my mother inlaw while they were in Mexico and she brought it back , not thinking what would happen if I threw this junk in the tank what the concequences would be , but whatever the star fish died from probably killed my 8"queen trigger from biting on it and maybe swallowing a piece of it needless to say it made my tank start to smell really bad in about 15-20 mins,so I pulled it out and did a 40 gallon water change. after that I started to notice the ich spots on my powder blue and pink tail, so I am assuming this is how it started. Let's me just say this it has to be one of the dumbest things I have done.
What do you mean hypo ?

arizona tech
12/19/2006, 09:37 PM
hyposalinty is lowering the salienty to 1.009 with a refractomer to measure salienty to interupt or kill the life cycle of ick, you cant do this with a plastic swing arm, for me i like cuparmine by seachem copper meds that kill the swimmming stage of ick, and lesson learned dont ever add anything from the ocean into your tank, i think you are right that crap brought some parasite into your tsnk

Crazy One
12/19/2006, 10:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8789235#post8789235 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by arizona tech
hyposalinty is lowering the salienty to 1.009 with a refractomer to measure salienty to interupt or kill the life cycle of ick, you cant do this with a plastic swing arm, for me i like cuparmine by seachem copper meds that kill the swimmming stage of ick, and lesson learned dont ever add anything from the ocean into your tank, i think you are right that crap brought some parasite into your tsnk
Hyposalinity is 1.016 but I'm trying to bring it down very slowly with water changes without stressing the fish out even more, for now I use the Instant ocean swing arm style now,but I'm going to buy the refractomter this weekend I think they are more accurate. For the copper med I think that will be my last resort due to having 3 anemones in there and I really don't want to kill them . I'm trying to establish a 10 gallon for them by the weekend just incase I have no other option than to use copper.
Word to the wise just like Vegas, What lives in the ocean should stay in the ocean.

ronjeremy
12/19/2006, 11:13 PM
you can actually lower the salinity a little faster!! the drop in salinity should take no more than 2 days..also, if you have any kind of corals or inverts, the hypo will kill them!!!! don't treat with your anemones in the tank

Freed
12/20/2006, 05:30 AM
Hypo is not 1.016. It is 1.009

deep_sea_Dennis
12/20/2006, 11:34 AM
I always use chemicals as a last resort. What has worked for me is to 1st have excellent water conditions proper filtration and heat as well as low nitrates. I use a UV sterilizer 24x7 365 changing the bulbs every 6 months. I feed a well balanced diet to include vitamins and supplements and when ich is involved heavy on the garlic. I al;so run a diatom filter to rmove the free swimming ich and in most cases a small outbreak can be sovled in a few weeks now that goes to saying i have had to use a QT with copper but more oftens not...m 2 $

Crazy One
12/20/2006, 08:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8790733#post8790733 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Freed
Hypo is not 1.016. It is 1.009 I underatand I needs it to be brought down to 1.009 ....I was just stating that its 1.016 right now that's all. Thanks for all the help