PDA

View Full Version : How to break siphon on a auto top off?

Norboo
12/19/2006, 10:09 PM
I have a 30 gallon tank with a pump sitting next to the sump. When the auto top off turns on and off, siphon never breaks.

I thought about adding a T but that will spill water over the T.

Any ideas? Thanks.

amike5
12/19/2006, 10:20 PM
Place the holding container lower than the sump. If you can't, install a float valve and rid of the pump. If your container of FW is higher than your sump why do you need a pump? Just install a float valve and let gravity do its job.

Norboo
12/19/2006, 10:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8789575#post8789575 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by amike5
Place the holding container lower than the sump. If you can't, install a float valve and rid of the pump. If your container of FW is higher than your sump why do you need a pump? Just install a float valve and let gravity do its job.

30 gallon tank is the FW tank and it sit next to the sump in the stand.

drummereef
12/19/2006, 11:39 PM
I think they meant the fresh water reservoir can sit next to the sump but the water level in it must not be higher than the sumps water level. Thus would cause a siphon.

drummereef
12/19/2006, 11:39 PM

beaniebeagle
12/20/2006, 12:54 PM
there's a few ways to do this

get a longer piece of tubing, clamp it to higher portion in your stand, have the piece at the end hang just a few inches above the water line in your sump. no worrying about any siphon to break

other way, especially if your tubing is flexible and may move when the pump is on. have a stiff piece of pvc pipe that is wider than the diameter of your tubing. set it up so that the flexible tubing is inside the stiffer tubing a little bit so that you can secure it. then the water flows down the stiffer tubing by gravity after it leaves your flexible tubing

or make a "T" with wider tubing, so that the resistance after it leaves your flexible tubing is decreased and wont push it up and over the upper part of the "T"

Norboo
12/20/2006, 09:29 PM
thanks. I will give it a try