PDA

View Full Version : Bacteria(?) has made it to Colorado

Squidman
07/16/2002, 03:38 PM
I went by one of my LFS's at lunch today to pick up some RO water. As I was paying I asked the guy if he had any cool clams I should look at. He responded by telling me they would not be carrying clams for the next six months. He said that the clams in the store died and all of his clams at home died after he took a clam home from the suspected infected tank. Now I know this guy and he had 3 or 4 clams at home. The store only had a few too, but he described how his died and it was exactly the same rapid, sequential death that all of you have described. I had started to get a false sense of security that the problem was confined to N. California. Very disappointing but I thought everyone should know that it seems to be spreading.

On a different note, do you guys suppose this bacteria or whatever it is could be carried by any other animals? I don't know if anyone has lost a bunch of their clams who hadn't added any new ones recently. I just bought a hammer coral from that store (different tank from their clam tank). I wouldn't think it would happen but I guess I won't plan on adding anything new for a while until we figure out what this bacteria is. Sorry for the bad news. :(