PDA

View Full Version : dead fish

staticx
12/20/2006, 02:01 PM
Bummer
I just got two new gobys the other day. after acclimating them everything seemed to be going good. one of them was great right from the start he was sifting sand and eating. the other one just seemed to hide and not do much. I have had them for two days. I woke up this morning and the one that never did much is dead. The other one is fine what could have been the problem. all levels are good, and the other fish is fine. Do you think the fish was in bad shape when i got it

tedmc2
12/20/2006, 02:16 PM
I suspect the one that did not look good had something wrong with it and was already on it's way out when you bought it. I hope your LFS had a guarantee.

Drew Reed
12/20/2006, 02:17 PM
"Do you think the fish was in bad shape when i got it"

That would be my guess.

staticx
12/20/2006, 02:21 PM
I was afraid of that. I have him in a tupperware container and will take him to the lfs today and see what they say. He looked skinny when I got him. I just made a typical idiot mistake of saying to myself oh he will do much better in my tank. Sheesh I am a idiot and I knew better.

tylorarm
12/20/2006, 02:22 PM
if it's a sand sifting gobie it needs a well developed sand bed with lots of things to eat imbedded. Tough to keep them fed unless you have a mature, live, sand bed. Pet stores often keep them in less than ideal conditions and they're likely already pretty weakened. Lots of info about this in other threads and I think was also an article in Reefkeeping online monthly.

MimicTang
12/20/2006, 02:25 PM
i got 8 gobies( 2 of 4 different species) in one shot. 2 where together form the start. 2 paired up after a week, 1 vanished while the other is fine. and the last 2 don't wanna have anything to do with once another. If they where larger or in a small space they may have fought each other and one perished.

staticx
12/20/2006, 03:01 PM
Well they were in a 100 gal with alot of sand and tons of room and the bigger one is the one that died

MimicTang
12/20/2006, 03:04 PM
room means nothing really. They coulda picked the middle of the tank, fish coulda had a mean personality, fish could've been older too.