PDA

View Full Version : stinging LPS

gusmanda
12/20/2006, 04:58 PM
Are LPS the only stingers I should be concerned when placing corals close together? If that's the case, what corals do people place beside them? I'm referring to bubble, hammer, and frog spawn corals in particular.

sir_dudeguy
12/20/2006, 05:07 PM
no they are not. I've got a fuzzy mushroom that stung back some button polyps and completely killed a whole section of them. But i dont believe it has sweepers, just if the polyps get too close and touch it i guess. I may be wrong, but i think i saw that hammers and frogspawn can touch. Along with torches too, but i may be wrong. But i do know that they can/will sting other corals like xenia or whatever.

alizarin
12/20/2006, 06:02 PM
I think those LPS are the only kind that have sweepers. You're supposed to give 6" extra room... but I have frogspawn right next to some zoanthids (they even touch sometimes) and there's no problem so who knows. One similar problem I had was with some sinularia - which is like a big soft wavy tree - it would get whipped around in the current and killed a bunch of Xenia and made everything else unhappy... I was suprised at how far away from everything I eventually had to move it when it fully expanded.

Paintbug
12/20/2006, 06:14 PM
heres what happen when my Colt Leather got a little to close to my hammer.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e328/Paintbug/deadcolt.jpg

i got that colt when it was about 2" tall. it grew to about 8". i noticed it was getting kinda close to the hammer, and kept thinking i need to move the colt but i didnt. 8 months or so of watching it grow, it was gone in 2 days. i did manage to save the other half of it though. so its a great idea to give those LPS their room. even candycanes will send out sweepers, you just have to learn how your corals act. and when first placing them in the tank, give them plenty of room.

lvreefer
12/20/2006, 06:37 PM
All Euphyllia (hammer, frogspawn, w/cation torch) can be placed next to each other. I would not place Plerogyra (bubble) or Physogyra (pearl) near these. As far as other corals, soft corals will expand and contract, sometimes expanding larger than before because of growth. Anenomes will just plain move on ya, and kill corals along the way.

It would be cool to start or continue an old thread about coral placement and compatibility.

gusmanda
12/21/2006, 11:07 AM
Are Zoo's generally immune to these stings? I read that zoo's tend to not trigger aggresive responses in other corals, but don't know whether getting in the way of a sweeper tentacle would kill them anyway.

sir_dudeguy
12/21/2006, 11:21 AM
gusmanda, i am also wondering your exact question. I put my frogspawn by my zoas kinda. They are about 4 inches above the frogspawn and about 1-2 inches to the left...would that be enough space to where the frogspawn wont do anything to the zoas?

The only other things i've got near my frogspawn are a gsp colony and a few red mushrooms...are those both ok?

gusmanda
12/21/2006, 11:38 AM
I read in tropical fish hobbyist about 10 years ago that zoo's tended to not creat reactions in other corals, while mushrooms tended to be more prone to being attached, though don't know exactly what corals it applies to. Anybody have any zoo's die due to other corals?

sir_dudeguy
12/21/2006, 12:03 PM
i too have heard that shrooms are not the greatest when it comes to having them with other corals that sting. And i myself have a fuzzy mushroom that killed about 10 button polyps...i guess i now know that they sting :)