PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI questions

Phoric
12/20/2006, 07:42 PM
Hello, I have Kent HI-S Maxxima RO/DI unit that is brand new (http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=KM1433). This is my first RO unit. I've been making my first batch of purified water after testing it. While the first 10 or so gallons took several hours (4-5), the last 5 gallons I just made took maybe an hour, or just a little over. This is about twice the rated gallons per day for this unit. Do these things speed up after breaking in or should I be worried?

I also noticed that the final stage canister (dark grey filter on the far right) does not fill all the way, and I can see the water trickling down the inside of the canister. Is this normal behavior? Could something be clogged and therefore the water is bypassing this canister somehow?

Thanks!

RandalB
12/20/2006, 08:52 PM
You are either hooked up to your waste line or you've got good water: 1) pressure 2) Temperature or 3) Low TDS. These are the factors that make RO units produce more than rated.

There are a couple of manufacturing errors that could also run water through faster, so check your product water at the membrane (Before DI) and post the results. If I don't catch it I'm sure AZdesertrat or one of the sponsors will chime in.

The DI canister question: This is normal no worries there.

HTH,
RandalB

Phoric
12/20/2006, 11:22 PM
I'm using the blue output line (verses the orange one) which takes longer to start flowing and it flows slower, so I assumed it was the correct one. I wonder if it had something to do with temperature like you said, as when it was running faster the water was warm.

Unfortunately I dont have a TDS meter at the moment so I guess I'll have to order one.

Thanks,

JW Jersey
12/20/2006, 11:32 PM
Your not running hot water through the ro are you? I belive the optimal water tempature is about 70F. My city water tds is 260ish and I have a 100 gpd unit and It makes 5 gallons in about 1.5 Hrs. at 60 psi at about 45 F.

jamison74
12/20/2006, 11:56 PM
make sure your membrane is seated properly, this is usally the cause of overproduction

Phoric
12/21/2006, 02:08 AM
It wasn't hot water, just kinda on the warm side. I'll double check the membrane tomorrow, although I'm certain I seated it well when I installed it.