PDA

View Full Version : drilling overflows or alternative?

navy guy
12/20/2006, 08:05 PM
I am debating drilling overflows into my 72 glass bowfront, using hob overflows or maybe even using a lifeguard customflo water system. My tank is currently up and running so to drill I would have to probably break it down. I am worried about using a hob overflow and flooding my living room and the noise they might create. I have seen these customflo over the tank water systems at Marinedepot and Fosters and Smith and am considering them. Has anyone ever heard anything about them and can anyone give me some recommendations on which way to lean?

Rockitmakr
12/20/2006, 08:28 PM
I have an empty 72 bowfront that has a sticker on the bottom. It says not to drill, so I would be leary drilling this tank. If the glass is tempered it will shatter, be careful.

:beer:

Cheesy_Puffs
12/20/2006, 08:55 PM
If you are leaning towards drilling, my suggestion would be to drill on the upper corner(s) on the back glass. This would limit the amount of water that could possibly drain out of the tank if your return fails or power supply gets cut off. You can then silicone in a mini overflow and put an external durso standpipe to muffle the waterfall sound.

I wouldn't recommend drilling on the bottom especially if it is tempered glass.:eek:

My tank is currently up and running so to drill I would have to probably break it down.

Hmm I seem to remember a post in the DIY forums maybe 2 years ago showing how someone drilled into their tank using a rotozip while they still had water and livestock in it. You might want to check into that forum if you are going to go the drill route.

[17]shawn[17]
12/20/2006, 09:04 PM
if it is not tempered glass i think you should drill it IMO it looks better especaly if you pile some rock up on it, if you have the time to take everything out then go for it,if not just drain it 3/4 of it and drill about half way or even up in a corners like Cheesy_Puffs said

Wrench
12/20/2006, 09:19 PM
You could always build or buy a wier. Like a HOB overflow but virtually silent and if built correctly it wont lose siphon when you turn off the pumps to feed the tank. You can use a float switch either in the sump or main tank to automatically shut off your return pump to prevent a flood. When the water either drops below or rises above a certain point, the switch will cut the power to the pump.

Here are the DIY plans for a weir;
http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/overflow.html