PDA

View Full Version : bicolor angel and sps

IMPERATORFAN
12/21/2006, 03:59 PM
I'm pretty certain it's a bad combo but I figured I'd ask anyway. Has anyone tried this?

saltycreefer
12/21/2006, 04:03 PM
I have seen a post or 2 here with one in a reef, don't know from personal experience though.

john f
12/21/2006, 06:20 PM
I have not done this myself.......
But....I have read posts before where the Bicolor and especially the Lemonpeel are the worst small angels in a reef tank. I have NOT heard of any SPS comments though.
I have an Imperator in my mixed reef and he ignores SPS.
Several years ago I did have a Flame angel in a mixed reef. Although I never saw him touch a coral, the polyp extension increased ALOT when I removed him to another tank.

I am inclined to try it and see.
You can always catch him out later if it doesn't work out. ( If I can catch a Powder Blue Tang from my 1000 gallon reef with nothing more than food and a net, you can catch almost anything)

BTW.....I have 2 parrotfish in my my reeftank. Trying a centropyge angel doesn't seem so risky....does it??

John

gary faulkner
12/21/2006, 08:57 PM
I have a bicolor in QT for about three weeks now.

Have a flame in my 120 SPS tank.

Would like to try the bicolor in the 120 but I have read bad things about them also.

I like to live dangerously though, I think I will try the bi just to see, I think that he and the flame will look great in my SPS farm!

panic
12/21/2006, 10:01 PM
just say no to angels

60Cubed
12/22/2006, 08:15 AM
i heard from a LFS owner that the lemon peels will nip @ acros. i was going to get one before he said this. it cost him a sale so i would be inclined to believe him on this!

nwrogers
12/22/2006, 08:37 AM
I have personal experience with a bicolor angel in my SPS tank and I would say NO! I noticed after adding him that I was beginning to have poor PE and couldn’t figure it out until I caught him red handed. Then I noticed he stopped once he saw that he had been caught. Am I crazy I thought? So I hid behind the doorway and decided to scout him out. What I saw was insane, he was an in the closet SPS fiend! As soon as he thought I had stopped looking he started feasting on SPS and LPS polyps. I had no growth for those two months and IMO and IME a bicolor is a bad fish for a reef tank. Oh and guess what else, he taught my coral beauty to eat SPS as well. The coral beauty was not a problem until I put the bicolor in. I had to take them both out and now my PE and growth is great! Just sharing my experience, hope it helps…

IMPERATORFAN
12/22/2006, 09:18 AM
Really appreciate all the responses. I have had an emperor in my sps only tank for nearly a year now without any problems. I guess I'd be pushing my luck to the extreme if I went with a bicolor. It's a shame, because I've always really liked those. I made two attempts at keeping them back in the days of wet dry's and bio balls, but they didn't last very long. I'd love to give it another shot, but I guess there's too much at ri$k.

Scot

PelagicMagic
12/22/2006, 09:30 AM
I just added a flame angel and I am keeping an eye on him. Looking back I wish I didnt add him but most sps tanks in my area have them. I just plan to keep him well fed to avoid polyp munching

RobsReefs
12/25/2006, 07:59 PM
I have a 26g bow and have had a bicolor for about a month without probs but now i will be watching him more.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r264/Robs26reef/bi-colorangle.jpg
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r264/Robs26reef/Tank12-25-06.jpg

_K_E_P_
12/25/2006, 09:15 PM
I had a bicolor in my tank, it didn't do any damage, but annoyed my sps polyps, so got no PE.
Also annoyed clams, so they always had their mantle retracted.
Has now been removed, really nice fish though.

gary faulkner
01/04/2007, 04:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8826445#post8826445 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Robs26reef
I have a 26g bow and have had a bicolor for about a month without probs but now i will be watching him more.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r264/Robs26reef/bi-colorangle.jpg
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r264/Robs26reef/Tank12-25-06.jpg

How is it comming with the Bicolor Angel?

I am still considering moving mine from the fowlr to the Reef.

Would like an update on yours.

Thanks

Whisperer
01/04/2007, 05:57 PM
My bicolor angel picked at my sps frags' polyps and killed several until I decided he did not belong in the tank. I really liked his intense color but he did not behave. I will never put any angel in my tank again.

Don Berry
01/04/2007, 08:35 PM
I've had a Flame Angel in my SPS dominated reef for a year and a half and he has never caused any problems with any corals or clams. I guess it's no guarantee, but Flame Angels seem to get less negative posts.

NewSchool04
01/04/2007, 10:54 PM
I have a bicolor in one tank (30 gallon) and flame in (75 gallon). I've never had a problem with either of them. They pick at everything, not really bothering anything.

ReefWreak
01/05/2007, 01:13 AM
gary faulkner, If you're looking to move him from the FOWLR to a Reef, you might want to sacrifice a mounted frag of an SPS by either putting it into the FOWLR with him, or putting them both into a quarantine tank to just see his reaction to it, if he picks at it or not.

I remember reading either here on RC or in a book somewhere that when buying an angel or other occasional coral eater, to have the LFS put a decoration SPS branch in there, or a real one if you've got one on hand, to see if they pick at it before you take it home from the store.

Good luck!

gary faulkner
01/05/2007, 01:36 PM
ReefWreak
I had thought of that and that is probably what I will do.
If I don't do that then he will have to remain in the FOWLR.
I think it is to risky otherwise.

Thanks for the help.

gary faulkner
09/01/2007, 07:56 PM
Update!

I was searching Fish in reefs tonight when I ran into this old thread.

The Bicolor Angel has been in my reef for about seven months now with no problems.

I did try putting in several pieces of SPS into the FOWLR and he ignored them all. So now he's in the 120 display.

HTH