PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this product?

rvales
12/21/2006, 05:12 PM
AZ-NO3 Nitrate Eliminator

DrBegalke
12/21/2006, 05:27 PM
i have used it with success. i was skeptical at first, as i don't precisely understand the biochemistry behind it, but it did work for me.

brought the no3 in my tank from ~15 to undetectable in about a month. stopped using it 6 weeks ago, and still undetectable....

rvales
12/21/2006, 08:03 PM
thank you I will give it a try

Ralph ATL
12/21/2006, 08:15 PM
I use it, but you have to go really slow. It removes nitrates too fast. Also, some people can experience a bacterial bloom that causes a lack of O2. I like it.

rvales
12/22/2006, 05:51 AM
When you say slow do you mean use less then the recommended amount.

Ralph ATL
12/22/2006, 05:25 PM
I cannot say how to use the product, as I am not a chemist. However, It brought down my trates way too low too fast. If I had to do it over, I would have used the same dosage, but in double the amount of time suggested. So if you are suppose to dose .1 ml for 2 days, then I would do it for 4 days before moving to the next level. I don't know if that would help or hurt, however. IMHO.

jman77
12/22/2006, 07:53 PM
don't need it .... have a remote DSB and run a fudge full of Marco... :)

saltycreefer
12/22/2006, 08:09 PM
Fudge full of Marco huh? Maybe I should give it a try!

Ralph ATL
12/22/2006, 08:35 PM
I don't need any more fudge! I had all the Fudge that I could eat today with everyone bring in home cookies, cakes, candies, and of course, Fudge!

Mike O'Brien
12/23/2006, 08:55 AM
From Randy's article

Nitrate in the Reef Aquarium
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/iss...st2003/chem.htm

AZ-NO3. This product is a material that you add directly to the aquarium, and it has been reviewed by Randy Doniwitz..22 I’ve not been able to determine from the product description what exactly it is or what it claims to do, other than to do something to the nitrate that then allows it to be exported by skimming. In general I am reluctant to recommend things that I do not understand, and consequently do not understand the potential undesirable effects (if any). This product, in particular, claims to have other effects: “AZ-NO3TM provides many other benefits besides nitrate reduction.”

Nevertheless, a number of aquarists that I have talked to have used the product to reduce nitrate without apparent bad effects.

Boomer
12/23/2006, 10:07 AM
not been able to determine from the product description what exactly it is or what it claims to do, other than to do something to the nitrate that then allows it to be exported by skimming.

I do not know if Randy has seen these yet

http://www.simplifiedreefkeeping.com/faq/AZ-NO3.HTM

or this

AZ-NO3

Synopsis

The AZ-NO3 (Absolute Zero - NitratesTM) product works entirely by aerobic Cellular Respiration on the target Nitrate molecule, which is then removed by the Protein Skimmer. The oxidoreductases necessary for these processes are the chemical mechanism of an enzyme action.

In the most simplest of explanations, AZ-NO3 can be considered an essential food, required by the active enzyme maltase that functions as a cellular respirator. The manufacturing process renders this product as an undesirable food to certain detrimental enzyme (amylase and invertase) that could uncontrollably proliferate in the aquarium.

Our product utilizes a specific enzyme in the maltase group to activate the oxidoreductases necessary to reduce nitrates by cellular respiration in the aquarium. The product itself does not contain this enzyme, but can be thought of more like a seed, a seed contains the germ (plant) and the food for the plant to grow. The mature plant then becomes the basic food product utilized.

The active ingredient in our product is Cozymase which functions in the oxidation of proteins and of many other compounds important in the intermediary metabolism and the resulting active enzyme Maltase in the aquarium. The Massecuite is food for both the Cozymase to develop and the resultant Maltase to thrive.

And a search of what Cozymase will find you that it is a "nickname" for, Coenzyme= I (II), D(T)PN and NAD(P). Often these are used as bacterial culture media. Certain Bacteria can also produce Coenzyme. NAD / DPN are very inportant organic molecules

Here is a list of Synonyms for Coenzyme I/ Cozymase I and it chemical structure.

http://www.bmrb.wisc.edu/metabolomics/gen_metab_summary_4.php?molName=NAD

Here is a list of Synonyms for Coenzyme II / Cozymase II and it chemical structure

http://www.bmrb.wisc.edu/metabolomics/gen_metab_summary_4.php?molName=NADP&render=2D+and+3D

john f
12/23/2006, 10:09 AM
I have lost fish using this product.

I agree with the go slow approach.
If you get a bacterial bloom the O2 can drop fast.
I lost 3 anthias in my 1000 gallon tank and almost lost me Vllamigii.

That said, it does lower nitrates. I had used it in the past without bad effects.Go SLOW.

John

DrBegalke
12/23/2006, 03:45 PM
I used it exactly as it said on the bottle, i.e. quite slowly.

I can see how people would be tempted to go faster, but just stick to the directions for this product.

john f
12/23/2006, 03:53 PM
I used it exactly like on the bottle too.........

Still killed some fish in my tank.

Again, go twice as slow as the bottle states.

John