PDA

View Full Version : Perc hosting question

rubysmomma1
12/21/2006, 06:20 PM
We have a ~2in long false perc who hosts in some pulsating xenias. We've tried four times to get her a mate and every time things seem to be going fine. She protects him from the other fish but he refuses to come out of the xenias and eat. All four times we've lost her mate.

We recently began a frag tank and are playing with the idea of buying a sebae anemone and moving her over to that tank. Here are my following questions:

1. Will she most likely take to the sebae and make that her new hosting ground?
2. If she does host in the sebae, how long should we wait to buy her a mate?
3. If all goes well and the mated pair are happy in their sebae, would moving them back to the display tank be an easy task?
4. Finally, if we move them back after an extended period of time, will they continue to host in the sebae and will the other fish bother the smaller perc?

Thanks for any input!! :)

rubysmomma1
12/22/2006, 02:33 PM
I really would like some help on this one. I don't want another perc killed and I don't want to hurt our current perc. Anybody?

bwest
12/22/2006, 02:59 PM
1. Will she most likely take to the sebae and make that her new hosting ground?

--A positive answer can't really be given, but I can guess that it will take to it if it is already hosting in something.

2. If she does host in the sebae, how long should we wait to buy her a mate?

--I'm unsure of what kind of time period there should be to wait. It may be ok to find a smaller percula and put them all in the other tank at the same time as the sebae, hoping that they both get along and take to it.

3. If all goes well and the mated pair are happy in their sebae, would moving them back to the display tank be an easy task?

--It shouldn't be very difficult. Just make sure they are acclimated properly to the new conditions. Hopefully after some time in the sebae, they wont go back to the xenias.

4. Finally, if we move them back after an extended period of time, will they continue to host in the sebae and will the other fish bother the smaller perc?

--Hopefully they will continue to host if all goes well in the previous steps. As for bothering the smaller percula, it depends on what kind of fish you have in there with it.

I hope this helps a bit.

rubysmomma1
12/22/2006, 07:11 PM
The other fish we have are a blue hippo tang, royal gramma, mandarin dragonette, scooter blenny, and covict blenny. The only fish that have ever been aggressive toward the smaller percs is the tang. She's just so big!!!

rubysmomma1
01/06/2007, 12:23 AM
Any other suggestions on our situation?

petoonia
01/06/2007, 12:47 AM
I have a sebae anemone with a false perc, and a true perc both are quite happy with it. My sebae anemone took awhile to get settled in. I would add the anemone and the new clown to the tank at the same time (see if you can find a sebae with a perc that has already taken to it) Once they have settled into the tank I would then introduce the clown you already have. Make sure to get a small clown, you dont want to end up with two females.

Good Luck!!!!