Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > mcozad829
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rate this Entry

Mikes progression through the reefing world

Posted 12/12/2015 at 11:13 PM by mcozad829

I have decided to start posting into my blog to document my experiences in reef keeping and how my knowledge and methods have changed over the years.

I started with a 46 gallon bowfront (2010) with a HOB filter, heater, and t-8 light fixture... everything kept dying and I couldn't figure out why. I started reading and started becoming aware of my issues.
After a few months I was given a reef ready 82 gallon bowfront tank with wet dry filter. The 46 was shut down and sold. I started the 82 gallon with the wet dry filter and eventually upgraded to a sump and skimmer. I also had a dual t-5 fixture so I was really reefing at this point. At least I was able to keep fish alive anyways.

This was a fun tank but I was never really successful with corals. My wife and I decided that we were going to buy a house and I decided I did not want to move this tank so I shut it down with the anticipation of getting a bigger tank after the move. Well the house purchase got delayed a year and I was itching real bad for a tank so I decided to jump into the nano game with a Nuvo 8. Oddly this nano was my first really successful reef tank...

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e162/mcozad829/IMG_0565_zps40665610_1.jpg
Well I outgrew the 8 gallon nano in less then a year and decided to upgrade to the nuvo fusion 30. I built a stand that doubled as a wine rack and transferred the 8 into the 30.

A few months after I started this tank we moved after finally completing construction on our new home. During the construction I had a home office built and had a drain and water line installed to hook up a fish tank in my office.

The 30 gallon before the move...

After moving I was anxious to get a tank that would allow me a broader selection of fish so I broke down the system and gave most of it away to a local club member. And then I got my current tank a 110 gallon...

more to follow...
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 4873 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments