Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > Nook's Reef
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rate this Entry

470 gallon tank going to softies

Posted 11/20/2011 at 09:50 PM by Nanook

I lost most of my SPS over the summer. I think it was coral chemical warfare as I have a lot of very large sinularia and a 3 foot diameter sarcophyton that was located in my acro tank. I also ran nitrate up to around 30 while waiting for my denitrator to kick in, but I had a lot of difficulty getting it calibrated this time around. Long story short, as much as I love acros, I think the softies are just easier and cheaper to grow. This saves a bit in GFO and electricity which is nice. I'm in the process of re-aquascaping the cube tank and need to add some new sand. Once I get that all done, I plan on adding some cool leathers that I've acquired from frenchie and then make a cool ricordea/clam area on the outer perimeter of the tank. I'll get some pics up when I get it looking better.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 70192 Comments 3 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 3

Comments

1. New Comment
    I have never done a blog before so I hope this is OK. I am a fan of softies, elec. is very expensive here in California and is only going to get much worse. So I can understand your desire to save some money on the light bill.
  2. New Comment
    I am a huge fan of "cool leathers." Looking forward to seeing what you have.
    Posted 11/30/2011 at 03:25 PM by der_wille_zur_macht der_wille_zur_macht is offline
  3. New Comment
    Hi im mike first time on a blog and to the hobby and you guy seem like u know your stuff so i just started with corals and i have some softies a brain or two iv had several sps but they never last every thing els is doing grate better then when i got then and growing with color but i can get the sps i have a 180g with a sump a reef octopus protein skimmer and i also just put in a algae scrubber and 3 ocean revive leds and 2 p4o jebao wave maker can any one help with the sps problem