Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > maysorum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

1. New Comment

OK, lots of stuff in the works

I've modified my refugium design (with the help Cy @ Barrier Reef, thanks!) to include a 12" x 12" compartment for sand. I think this will greatly reduce the amount of maintenance, as I initially was planning to use sand throughout. I'll post an updated sketch as soon. The final dimensions are 28L x 18W x 16H. I'm excited to get this on line!
  2. New Comment

I lied (again), I'm setting up a LiterMeter III

I got my sump area organized, finally! All the wires and devices are off the ground and mounted to the stand. No more potential fire or electrical hazards! Wow, organizing the sump area is truly a yucky chore. It took 4 hours, lots o' cussing, and some elbow grease, but in the end it was well worth it.

I also ran the Litermeter pumps to break them in a bit. Next on my to-do list: calibrate the pumps. Yay!
  3. New Comment

Fish food adventures...

P.S. None of the fish like Urchin; however, the corals seem to love it!
  4. New Comment

Wow, I'm nervous!

Wow, thanks for the words of encouragement!
  5. New Comment

Wow, I'm nervous!

Hey - not sure how I ended up in the blog section. I too recently installed my Calc reactor. It was scary but after it was running, I don't know what the fear was. Good luck - it made a huge difference in my tanks stability.
  6. New Comment

Fish food adventures...

I'm also going to try New Life Spectrum pellets for a more complete diet. Also, I do want to go on vacation someday and having an automatic feeder will be very helpful!
  7. New Comment

Fish food adventures...

This fish seem to enjoy the home made mixture more and more! It almost seems that it's their new preferred food—yippee!
  8. New Comment

Hmmm, water chemistry and salt mixes

Well, I guess I spoke too soon! Tunze is looking into the issue and giving me a free box of salt! Thank you Roger!!
  9. New Comment

Wow, I'm really feeling not-so-good about Tunze salt and their customer service. I just found out that they don't even use batch numbers. I'm considering switching to another brand—ugh! Anyone have any suggestions?
  10. New Comment

OK, just gone testing the "old" batch of salt and the results really surprised me.

I mixed the remaining bag of salt vigorously for a few minutes. I separately poured each cup into the RO/DI water with two Koralia powerheads running. It took 3 cups of Tunze salt to make 5 gallons of saltwater at 35pt/1.0265. The water was mixed for approximately 4.5 hours before testing.

I tested Alkalinity, Magnesium and Calcium using Elos test kits that are not expired. Both Alkalinity and Calcium were tested twice and Magnesium only once because it's taking way too much reagent. The results are as follows:

Alkalinity - 6 KH (both tests)
    Calcium - 700 (1st test) / 650 (2nd test)
    Magnesium - 2400 (took 56 drops of solution A and 8 drops of solution D)

These numbers are in line with the tank parameters when I initially discovered the problems (lethargic snails). Also these results were verified by my local LFS (Barrier Reef) as they tested both my tank water and a batch of freshly made saltwater. I believe Barrier Reef used Elos test kits also.

Hmmm, this is so unsettling!