Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Unread

Fire it up, literaly

Posted 12/07/2009 at 09:21 AM by insane

The sump is done and today it will be started up. But first I have to rebuild the 7 way over the top return manifold, hook up the return pump, set up the aqualifter on the CPR CS150 1,600gph HOB overflow and run two dedicated electrical circuits to the tank to supply the power.

Yesterday I had an antique 400w Hamilton MH magnetic ballast catch fire in the house. I was using that old 72" fixture over the stock tanks holding the rock and corals for the past month. Luckily I was...
Moved On
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 9549 Comments 0 Go to first new comment insane is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Bare Bottom........ something different

Posted 12/06/2009 at 10:47 PM by Konadog

Now I don't really like the look of the bare bottom, and after reading a thread on Rubble Bottoms I really liked the idea. So off to pick up a few boxes of small rubble rock and fill in the bottom.

After looking through all my rock, I decided I liked the tonga branch pieces the best. Here's my first bucket of rubble for the tank,

Its about 30# of rubble, and after putting it in between all the rock,...
Master of the 16 hour day
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 19747 Comments 0 Go to first new comment Konadog is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Aqua-scaping

Posted 12/06/2009 at 10:45 PM by Konadog

Now on to the fun part, Aqua-scaping! This is where all your planning and hard work pays off. It's show time!

After cooking the rocks from my 100 gallon tank and the rock I picked up when I got the tank for months, I sorted them out and started playing.

Here is the batch of small rocks, that's a 4 x 8 sheet of plastic:

I wanted to make things a little different than a rock wall, so after asking...
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 18488 Comments 0 Go to first new comment Konadog is offline Edit Tags
Unread

The big day, time for the tank move!

Posted 12/06/2009 at 10:40 PM by Konadog

The big day, time for the tank move!

Now that the stand is in the house, it's time to find a few crazy reefers that are willing to help lift a large glass box up a few steps, into the house, and put it on a 40" stand.

Luckily in socal there are plenty to chose from I made things very easy on everyone, I rolled the tank up to the sliding glass door (5' opening) and had the stand just inside the door. I also had a few extra people just in case someone didn't show....
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 26461 Comments 1 Go to first new comment Konadog is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Konadog's 225

Posted 12/06/2009 at 10:39 PM by Konadog
Updated 12/06/2009 at 10:48 PM by Konadog

Thought I'd move this over from the old blogs...

Originally posted: Tuesday, Dec 26th, 2006 at 12:47 am

Well, it's been a year since I shut my 100 gallon mixed reef tank down and started collecting parts for my new dream tank, a Lee Mar three sided starphire 225!It just so happened one day that a friend decided to take a break from the hobby, and he just happened to have the tank I wanted.

Tank dementions are, 72"L x 30"D x 24"H.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 20492 Comments 1 Go to first new comment Konadog is offline Edit Tags