Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Unread

Guess I'm doing something right..

Posted 06/06/2014 at 05:23 AM by Vilas

Three weeks in, and I just noticed that my glass is covered with thousands of pods. Hooray!
They're likely brought in by all of the little ocean additions I've thrown in - growing bits of macro algae that I've found with roots, a few loose bits of dead coral, some mussels that I was storing for dinner (don't judge! I have a permit! And they're warm water mussels, from the local beach.)
I did use high quality cured live rock, but my bet is that the stuff that came directly from the...
Registered Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 23479 Comments 1 Go to first new comment Vilas is offline Edit Tags
Unread

African Pygmy turbo snails, aka top shells.

Posted 06/01/2014 at 08:09 AM by Vilas

Well, I lucked out. I hope.

I picked some snails off the rocks the other day to start my clean up crew. My book said they were topshells, and ate algae, so I added them to the tank. I keep my local reference book on the beach when I collect, so I don't have to bother with unsuitable species or accidentally bring home protected species. It is also a handy keeper for my permit, which I must laminate!

At the time, as I have a cycling tank, I had the usual brown algae,...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	2502
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	83  
Registered Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 14773 Comments 0 Go to first new comment Vilas is offline Edit Tags
Unread

slowly setting up.

Posted 05/28/2014 at 02:01 AM by Vilas

Did more research into local fishes. The local clowns are fine, basically any angel or tang isn't. Which is a shame, they're so lovely to see in the tide pools. Such temptation!

I collected a bit of a cleanup crew, and added it once I had amonia and nitrites at 0 for a week. Started small, 6-7 small snails (topshells, according to my book) a couple of limpets, and a chiton. The snails are amazing with brown algae, as it turns out!

Also realized that the zoanthids that...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pool1.jpg
Views:	2486
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	80   Click image for larger version

Name:	pool2.jpg
Views:	2640
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	81   Click image for larger version

Name:	zoas2.jpg
Views:	2488
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	82  
Registered Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 19759 Comments 2 Go to first new comment Vilas is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Welcome.

Posted 05/25/2014 at 12:15 PM by Vilas

I've set up, and done a bit of the cycle. Ten days in, and my ammonia has been zero for four, after the spike, so I took the big step of hitting the tide pools.
I initially wanted only local for everything, then realized how hard that would be. Live rock isn't allowed on my permit, nor is aquaculture, and the sand is silicate. So I grumbled a bit and bought live rock, and some aragonite sand.
However, the tide pools are coated with corals and anemones, and I've seen clownfish and...
Registered Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 10991 Comments 0 Go to first new comment Vilas is offline Edit Tags