Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > 55 Gal Uniquarium Build
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

Documentation of my first new aquarium build. Upgrading to a 55 gal Clear for Life Uniquarium from a 28 gal Nano Cube after 1 yr, 9 mos. as a reef tank owner!
Rate this Entry

A Little Background

Posted 09/20/2012 at 02:39 PM by sweetyness
Updated 10/12/2012 at 07:41 PM by sweetyness (Fixed product name)

After 1 yr, 9 mos owning a Nano Cube (28 gal) reef tank I finally feel I have a grasp, (however small), of how to keep my tank balanced. Of course I felt this way several times since the start, and have lost quite a bit of beautiful coral, shrimps, clams, and a couple fish while learning. With the exception of one crash I never accurately figured out, what I call "user error" was to blame, ie: my newbie mistakes or lack of knowledge.

The internet and this forum especially have helped my through in times of need and frustration, (and wanting to sell the whole dang thing! But loss of all the money poured into it, and my love & obsession for every little piece of the reef stopped me )

But I do feel I have a good handle on it now and have gotten my Nano tank healthy in spite of me liking to feed twice a day and only changing out water once a month. I tried to be better but it just hasn't worked out. (Except when I had problems, then it was every day until better!)

I feel these contribute the most:
1. CPR Aquafuge 2 HOB Refugium, (3.5 gal), with magic mud, sand, live rocks & chaeto algae. (the mud is so old I doubt it helps anymore)
2. API Bio-Chem Zorb, exchange every 2-3 mos.
3. API Phos-Zorb, (newest addition, help remove .5 phosphate & small algae issues).
4. Peppermint & Cleaner shrimp for Aiptasia.
5. Clean-up crew: snails & hermit crabs for leftover food unwanted algae.
6. Good waterflow.
7. AquaticLife Mini Skimmer, (although it does not skim very much anymore).

In my new post I'll let you know why I decided to rock the boat and build a new tank! Thanks for listening! ~Jana
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 7111 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments