Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > System configuration and fish for my two tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Hardware components of my two primary tanks and some of the fish I keep
Rate this Entry

Why I advocate TTM first for all new fish

Posted 01/26/2015 at 11:13 AM by snorvich

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
Ich does not have to have visible symptoms in order to be present. So, to absolutely insure you are not introducing ich to your tank, the tank transfer method is the easiest way of doing so.

Tank transfer eliminates ich from the equation:
+ Eliminates ich by disrupting the life cycle
+ Requires 4 or more transfer cycles of less than 72 hours. So 3x3x3x3 or 2x2x2x2x2x2 are equally effective
+ Needs a total of 12 days
+ Requires that each new cycle start with a totally dry tank
+ Allows Prime to be used to eliminate ammonia problems
+ If the specific gravity of the water in the tank transfer process is adjusted to the specific gravity of the transport water, only temperature acclimation is require
+ Easiest way to transfer fish for each cycle is with a square colander

However, tank transfer only eliminates ich and does not affect any other parasite. As such I recommend Prazipro on the second and fourth cycles of tank transfer.

With the number of LFS running a low level of copper in their systems, I strongly recommend at least 4 weeks of observation beyond tank transfer in a cycled quarantine tank:

+ This allows any other parasite to visibly present (since low level of copper masks other parasites
+ It allows the new fish to eat vigorously with no competition
« Prev     Main     Next »