Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > System configuration and fish for my two tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Hardware components of my two primary tanks and some of the fish I keep
Fish Parasites and Diseases, Treatment and Prevention Various information about fish diseases and parasites
Unread

Formalin Dip as part of quarantine

Posted 01/16/2016 at 08:58 PM by snorvich (System configuration and fish for my two tanks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post

If the goal is prevention without the fish showing actual symptoms I would only do one dip - the one at arrival.

It is done easily:

1. take the fish out of the bag and place them into a container. Take just as much water from the bag as is needed for the fish to swim. in the container. Ideally you use a graduated container or one you have metered out and marked yourself so you know which volume you have at a certain fill level.
Team RC member
Views 59047 Comments 0 Go to first new comment snorvich is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Why I advocate TTM first for all new fish

Posted 01/26/2015 at 11:13 AM by snorvich (System configuration and fish for my two tanks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
Ich does not have to have visible symptoms in order to be present. So, to absolutely insure you are not introducing ich to your tank, the tank transfer method is the easiest way of doing so.

Tank transfer eliminates ich from the equation:
+ Eliminates ich by disrupting the life cycle
+ Requires 4 or more transfer cycles of less than 72 hours. So 3x3x3x3 or 2x2x2x2x2x2 are equally effective
+ Needs a total of 12 days
+ Requires that each
Team RC member
Views 56596 Comments 0 Go to first new comment snorvich is offline Edit Tags
Unread
Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Where I have seen folks go wrong

Posted 01/03/2015 at 06:08 PM by snorvich (System configuration and fish for my two tanks)

Quote:
From working in this forum for quite a while, I have seen quite a few scenarios where folks run into problems:

Leaving a fish at the LFS for a month to make sure it has no parasites. While this seems to be intuitive, there are several problems with this. First, many local fish sellers run copper in their system and this will mask various parasites. Secondly, since LFS run fish systems, and receive new fish frequently, they are constantly exposing fish to new parasites and other
Team RC member
Views 58725 Comments 0 Go to first new comment snorvich is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Stages of Marine Aquarist experience with parasites

Posted 12/27/2014 at 06:34 PM by snorvich (System configuration and fish for my two tanks)

Quote:
At the risk of offending (I have no intention of doing so, however) some folks, I have observed that aquarists go through different stages of awareness about marine parasites. As their embedded base of fish increases in value, so too does their sensitivity to infecting their prized fish friends.

Unconscious Incompetence
Characteristics:
+ all tanks have ich, there is nothing one can do about that except feed garlic or ginger
+ I cannot
Team RC member
Views 55529 Comments 0 Go to first new comment snorvich is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Parasite infected Aquaria adjacent to a non-infected aquarium

Posted 07/04/2014 at 03:59 PM by snorvich (System configuration and fish for my two tanks)

Quote:
"Infective dinospores could be transported in aerosolized water droplets (Roberts-Thompson et al 2006). Droplets from static systems were shown to be transmissible for up to 1.44 feet however droplets from dynamic ones were shown to be transmissible up to 9.8 feet. This means that adjacent aquaria, and potentially ponds, could spread the infection. [edited] This means that aquaria if situated close together should be covered." These references were originally from Fish Disease: Diagnosis
Team RC member
Views 26012 Comments 0 Go to first new comment snorvich is offline Edit Tags