Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Unread

Obstinate urchin

Posted 03/08/2011 at 03:05 PM by sacremon

I bought another urchin, which arrived today. This one is in the sump rather than the display tank, as it is too dangerous for at least the eel. It is a flower urchin, Toxopneustes pileolus. This is one of, if not the, most venomous of the sea urchins. It is reputed to have caused human deaths, and laboratory experiments with the toxin have demonstrated it to be very potent, at least in mice.

In any event, I got the urchin in today and set about acclimation. I use a bucket from...
Registered Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 20802 Comments 0 Go to first new comment sacremon is offline Edit Tags
Unread

cryptocaryon irritans (ich) part II

Posted 02/28/2011 at 04:02 PM by snorvich (System configuration and fish for my two tanks)
Updated 05/19/2011 at 02:18 PM by snorvich

Subjective and Non-Subjective Observations, Claims, and Common Myths:

1. Some Tangs seem more susceptible. This is true. Their mucous coatings are reduced in thickness and composition. They swim up to 25 miles a day in the ocean in search for food so maybe Mother Nature provided them with this as a means of 'escape.'

2. It goes away on its own. Definite NOT true. It is only visible at one stage IF it is on the body or fin of the fish. If it was once seen, then it hasn't...
Team RC member
Views 57164 Comments 1 Go to first new comment snorvich is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Naso tang gets annoyed

Posted 02/18/2011 at 01:17 PM by sacremon

A little over a week ago, I got in an Astropyga radiata. Common names are something like Radiating Urchin or Long Spine Blue Spot urchin (Live Aquaria seems to prefer the latter). They are strikingly colored, reputedly venomous and are fairly active during the day. It has been wandering all over the tank, and it appears to be at least sampling some of the algae that has taken over much of the rock and sand. Yesterday, however, it discovered the rock to which I tie nori to feed the two tangs...
Registered Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 16670 Comments 0 Go to first new comment sacremon is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Three large colonies and mini colony

Posted 02/15/2011 at 12:01 AM by shookbrad

[QUOTE=collie man;18344558]please pm me if you still have the staghorn.[/QUOTE]

I do shill have the staghorn.
Registered Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 10659 Comments 0 Go to first new comment shookbrad is offline Edit Tags
Unread

ProfiLux the ultimate computer choice

Posted 02/09/2011 at 09:56 AM by AQD_ottawa (Aqua Digital Blog for all things we distribute)

[url]http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1973911[/url]
Registered Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 17563 Comments 0 Go to first new comment AQD_ottawa is offline Edit Tags