Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > System configuration and fish for my two tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Hardware components of my two primary tanks and some of the fish I keep
Interesting Information Posts I find interesting or information I want to save for future reference
Unread

Anemones which host clownfish

Posted 02/01/2014 at 03:45 PM by snorvich (System configuration and fish for my two tanks)
Updated 03/18/2014 at 05:39 PM by snorvich

Anemones which host clownfish
I get a lot of questions about anemones hosting clownfish. A list of those I know of follows.

Anemone - Compatible Clownfish Species

Bubble Tip Anemone (Rose Anemone)
Entacmaea quadricolor
will host:

Amphiprion akindynos - Barrier Reef Clownfish
A. clarkii - Clark's Clownfish
A. frenatus - Tomato Clownfish
A. melanopus - Red and Black Clownfish
A. ocellaris - Ocellaris Clownfish...
Team RC member
Views 9002 Comments 0 Go to first new comment snorvich is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Mandarins and other dragonets

Posted 03/05/2012 at 12:24 PM by snorvich (System configuration and fish for my two tanks)
Updated 03/18/2014 at 05:39 PM by snorvich

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
Dragonets

Colorful, slow-moving Dragonets are some of the most interesting fish for the marine aquarium. Included in this group are mandarin fish, scooter blennies (which of course are not blennies at all), and other more esoteric dragonets such as fingered dragonets.

Dragonets have special feeding requirements because they have a very high metabolism and are grazers requiring nearly constant supply of food such as copepods and amphipods. On average they will eat
Team RC member
Views 11006 Comments 0 Go to first new comment snorvich is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Schooling and Shoaling

Posted 04/25/2011 at 06:35 PM by snorvich (System configuration and fish for my two tanks)
Updated 03/18/2014 at 05:40 PM by snorvich

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
Since this issue comes up so frequently on Reef Central, some additional information might be useful. An aggregation of fish is the general term for any collection of fish that have gathered together in some locality. Fish aggregations can be structured or unstructured. An unstructured aggregation might be a group of mixed species and sizes that have gathered randomly near some local resource, such as food or nesting sites.

If, in addition, the aggregation comes together in an interactive,
Team RC member
Views 12831 Comments 0 Go to first new comment snorvich is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Do LEDs really last 10,000+ hours?

Posted 04/13/2011 at 05:40 PM by snorvich (System configuration and fish for my two tanks)
Updated 03/18/2014 at 05:41 PM by snorvich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hahn View Post
There is some accurate and some pretty iffy LED info in this thread. Since I sometimes work with high powered LED technology in my industry (displays, not aquariums), I'd like to clarify a few points.

1. When the LED mfrs state a lifetime of 50,000 hours or so, that is a theoretical lifetime based on the known physics of LEDs. It is not a tested lifetime. Since it would take about 6 years to run that test, no one including the LED manufacturer has typically run one that long before
Team RC member
Views 11587 Comments 0 Go to first new comment snorvich is offline Edit Tags