Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > sacremon
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rate this Entry

Now the slow part

Posted 05/10/2010 at 11:31 AM by sacremon

Tank is set up, sump in place and plumbed, skimmer hooked up (not on, obviously), light fixture back over the tank. I washed all the sand from the old tank and put it in the new one. Chris, the LFS owner, brought over 20 or so gallons of 'live water' - basically he did a water change of his tanks and brought over what he could. Now I get to make saltwater 30g at a time to add to the tank. My RO/DI system is supposedly rated at something like 75g or 100g per day, but at best I get about 35g from it. I changed out the sediment filter, as it was filthy, and that might improve matters. Even it if could make more, I only have one Brute container to spare right now, so that pretty much limits me to roughly 30g per day anyway. Tonight I'll dump in what I started up yesterday and add 80 pounds of Caribsea live sand. Chris is still working on modifying the overflow inserts. I asked him to leave every third tooth, so as to allow greater flow. He would have had it done yesterday, but he is a perfectionist and won't be satisfied until it meets his own criteria. Better done right the first time.

While I would like to have the entire tank on some kind of generator for when power goes out (not an if in metro Atlanta), I don't have the infrastructure for that right now. What I am going to do is to have the powerheads (Koralia Magnum 5 and 6) on a fair-sized computer UPS. Those units pull very little power; I think the Koralia 5 pulls 8 watts. This way when the power goes, the tank will still have circulation for quite a while.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 4843 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments