Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > Rotknee
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rate this Entry

Goin' Glass Baby!!!

Posted 03/26/2011 at 12:07 PM by Rotknee
Updated 04/21/2011 at 05:42 PM by Rotknee (corrected typo)

I am in the process of upgrading from an acrylic tank to a Lee-Mar 167g (62x26x24) three sided eurobraced starphire tank. I am really excited about the build as it gives me the option to "start fresh" and apply what I have learned over the past year in my experiences with my current 120g setup.

Given my travel schedule my updates will be very sporadic. I usually have access to a computer when in the field so I will update this blog as the opportunity presents itself.

I placed my deposit with Vivid Aquariums on 3/10 and was recently told that I could expect my tank the week of 4/4. I was going to put the project on hold because of unforeseen travel plans but decided to push forward anyway.

With a new tank I need a new stand. I wanted to go with a steel from and since I have zero welding skills I choose Steel Aquarium Stands. So far, I am very impressed with the work. The stand is way overbuilt and made out of 2" tubular steel and is 40" tall. It will have a drip tray and custom mounting board for my electronics and battery Vortech backup unit.

I like to think my design is European retro, yet understated with a classic Elos flavor. It's simple but will get the job done.

I have attached a couple of drawings...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s1.jpg (53.5 KB, 877 views)
File Type: jpg s2.jpg (39.7 KB, 850 views)
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 8342 Comments 6 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 6

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Would you mind telling me who is building your tank? I am looking for a similar setup. I am in Utah and don't want to pay the shipping for glass cages.com to make mine.
  2. Old Comment
    :fun2Would you mind telling me who is building your tank? I am looking for a similar setup. I am in Utah and don't want to pay the shipping for glass cages.com to make mine.
  3. Old Comment
    Haha, I guess I should have read it in your text. I will look into Vivid Aquariums
  4. Old Comment
    The tank was actually built by Lee-Mar Aquarium & Pet but purchased through Vivid Aquarium.

The good news is that your LFS should be able to contact Lee-Mar directly and order the tank for you. If you have a good relationship with your LFS I would contact Lee-Mar as a representative of your LFS and deal with them directly.

Make sure you know EXACTLY what you want before ordering the tank. Don't be shy about sharing the details (diamond edge, 3 sided Starphire etc.,) as it will make the process go that much better.

I hope that helps!
  5. Old Comment
    Thanks, that helps a lot!
  6. Old Comment
    The stand look awesome, and I love the drip-tray on the bottom. Keep up the good work, and let me know when you have updates!

Nate