Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > Spaced Cowboy
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

Rate this Entry

Stains, on my honor

Posted 09/17/2011 at 10:57 PM by Spaced Cowboy
Tags build

We decided on the door-styles we wanted - a half-french-arch on each door, and over the long weekend, I finally got my act together, screwed up my courage (I absolutely hate doing things there’s no going back from, when I’ve already invested a huge amount of time into the project), and set about dying and staining the wood.

I chose to use Lockwood’s English Brown Oak dye to alter the underlying colour - dyes add a uniform colour to the wood, without obscuring the grain. Once that had dried, I applied a generous coat of General Finishes Brown Mahogany stain to bring out the grain, and highlight the woods natural features. Once all that was dry, I applied some finish varnish to add some protection. I'm pleased with how it turned out...

[CENTER][IMG]http://www.tank-log.com/tank-log.com/Home/Entries/2011/7/4_Stains,_on_my_honour%21_files/shapeimage_2.png[/IMG][/CENTER]

Here’s a photo of the detail in one of the corner posts, once stain has been applied. The dark grain is gorgeously visible and the dye and stain combination really highlights the mouldings applied to the top of the stand, and the inlay work in the columns.

[CENTER][IMG]http://www.tank-log.com/tank-log.com/Home/Entries/2011/7/4_Stains,_on_my_honour%21_files/IMG_0252.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

The doors are attached using magnets, so they completely lift off. This is necessary for removal of the sump (it really does *just* fit, thanks “mathematics” The (standard) furniture magnets I used are very secure, though. I was originally going to have 2 magnets per door, but they are perfectly secure with a single magnet per door.

This is my first-ever piece of "furniture" that will stay in the room. I'm pretty pleased with the results, even if there were times along the way that I thought it would never work ...
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 9061 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments