Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > chimmike
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rate this Entry

Intro to 100g cube build

Posted 07/31/2010 at 03:24 PM by chimmike

Welp, I've already started the process somewhat, but here's what the plan is, followed by where I am in the process:

Plan:
100g cube, lit by custom LED's (Cree LED's)
3 heatsinks with royal blues and whites.
Controller (leaning towards RKE)
Skimmer
75g refugium/Sump
Reeflo external return
2x Vortech MP40w's

Process:
I've got the upper and lower frames for the oversize stand assembled of 2x6's. Lower frame has the ply sunk in and sealed with kilz and silicone, creating a sort of "tub", where the sump tank will sit. This is to help prevent any overflows from going all over my laminate wood floor. It'll hold a few gallons before spilling out of the wood.

Upper frame will have 3/4" plywood as well as styrofoam cut to the exact dimensions of the tank (36x37x18)

Verticals are 2x4's with kreg pocket holes.

It will be skinned, but with what I am not sure.

Overflow: internal coast to coast with beananimal's silent overflow, 1" bulkheads, 1.5" piping.

Plumbing: I have numerous fittings and what not left over from my previous tank, however since most of the return plumbing and drain will be 1.5", the only things I'll be using are most likely my 1" bulkheads.
I'll feed the reeflo pump from the sump with two 1" bulkheads in the 75g (with screen covers over the inlets). I'll make extensive use of spa-flex or the like to keep vibration sound and plumbing ease to a minimum. The return pump will sit on the other side of the wall in my garage for noise purposes.

I'm still not sure if I'll do over-the-top returns (two) from the pump or if I'll drill a couple bulkheads in. I'm not sure if I want to drill the pane 5 times, but aesthetic wise, I'm not sure I want two return lines sticking up over the rim on a rimless tank.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 19719 Comments 3 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 3

Comments

1. New Comment
    I like your set up. I have the same thing just in a smaller size.
  2. New Comment
    thanks!
  3. New Comment
    any pictures now?