Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > insane
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rate this Entry

Fire it up, literaly

Posted 12/07/2009 at 09:21 AM by insane

The sump is done and today it will be started up. But first I have to rebuild the 7 way over the top return manifold, hook up the return pump, set up the aqualifter on the CPR CS150 1,600gph HOB overflow and run two dedicated electrical circuits to the tank to supply the power.

Yesterday I had an antique 400w Hamilton MH magnetic ballast catch fire in the house. I was using that old 72" fixture over the stock tanks holding the rock and corals for the past month. Luckily I was home and in the same room when it started. I unplugged the ballast and drug it out the back door. Later I opened it up and the wires and wire nuts were all burned up. So now I have to move just a bit faster to get everything moved into the tank which has been running for about a month now.

I have to tie the DT into the stock tanks to mix the water together before I move anything over. Temps and SG are the same but I want to reduce the chance of problems. I am going to weigh all of the rock as I move it to find out the actual weight. I think there is about 400lbs of it. I cut the sand bed in about half. Was 500lbs, now more like 250lbs. I screened it removing anything smaller than 1/8".

This will be an all day event since I am also drilling and pegging the rock with acrylic rods. I will be glad to get those stock tanks out of the room and down into the basement where one will eventually be my sump and the other a RDSB.

We have a multiple pet owners license and our house has many cages, crates, tanks, etc. We have an English Mastiff, the smallest dog is our Pitbull, a German Shepherd Dog, two Neapolitan Mastiffs and a third Neapolitan puppy (Pandora) was born on Dec. 1st in Belgium that will be flying over in 8 weeks. There are also two cats, Ball Python, pet rats, Greenwing Macaw, Scarlet Macaw, Ecclectus and a Bluefront Amazon.
[IMG]http://www.illinimastini.com/pets1.jpg[/IMG]
What can I say? We are animal lovers. We live in the city, don't have a huge house or yard and I give up some furniture to make room for the animals needs. They all get the best of everything. Vet bills are 10 grand a year and food bills are huge. We feed a diet of 50% raw meats to the dogs. All animals are indoor only. We do have a bit of a dust problem but run 3 large air cleaners 24/7. The slobber and messes from the giant breed dogs is something only certain people can handle. Neat freaks beware.

Now I am off to the reef. So much to set up and hook up but I really enjoy doing it. Getting the APEX controller hopefully soon so I will get to hook everything up twice. Fun fun!

I have a bunch of softies in one of the stock tanks that I need to get rid of soon. I am not putting any type of soft corals in the reef. It will be SPS dominant with some LPS and fish. A small school of [URL="http://fishprofiles.com/profiles/marine/Chaetodontids/Heniochus_diphreutes/"]Heniochus diphreutes[/URL].
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 9550 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments