Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Documentation of my first new aquarium build. Upgrading to a 55 gal Clear for Life Uniquarium from a 28 gal Nano Cube after 1 yr, 9 mos. as a reef tank owner!
Old

Sorry for the delay!!

Posted 11/11/2012 at 04:17 PM by sweetyness (55 Gal Uniquarium Build)

I am so behind on my tank build!! I've been busy and trying to find time to get caught up-getting the photos reduced and on my server seems to be the biggest time-hog

But I'm tackling it now since I just swapped tanks and have the new one set up. Wish me luck! ~Jana
Registered Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 8381 Comments 1 sweetyness is offline Edit Tags
Old

Days 1-4: Rocks, Sand & Water, Oh My! Filling the Tank

Posted 09/26/2012 at 09:03 PM by sweetyness (55 Gal Uniquarium Build)

I placed a couple dry rocks in the bottom of the tank, then scooped cups of rinsed sand around it:
[IMG]http://janayeakel.com/graphics/Reef-Tank/063.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://janayeakel.com/graphics/Reef-Tank/065.jpg[/IMG]
Then I added the new live rocks I brought back from the LFS and filled with 15 gals. of Catalina Sea Water:
[IMG]http://janayeakel.com/graphics/Reef-Tank/066.jpg[/IMG]
I only wanted an inch of sand, but it came out to almost 2" using...
Registered Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 7045 Comments 0 sweetyness is offline Edit Tags
Old

Let's Get It Started! Test tank & Clean Sand 09.16.12

Posted 09/25/2012 at 12:25 AM by sweetyness (55 Gal Uniquarium Build)

OK, I finally have the time to get this baby going!

1. I took off the protective plastic on the new tank and removed all the bio balls in the back area. I will replace with live rock & chaeto algae to use as a rufugium. I also removed the filter sponges on the right back.
[IMG]http://janayeakel.com/graphics/Reef-Tank/045.jpg[/IMG]

2. I took the tank outside to test with water & power. No leaks, pump works great...Quiet! (I'm sure the rubber feet...
Registered Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 8939 Comments 1 sweetyness is offline Edit Tags
Old

New Tank Purchases & Plans

Posted 09/20/2012 at 04:58 PM by sweetyness (55 Gal Uniquarium Build)
Updated 09/20/2012 at 06:10 PM by sweetyness (Add photos)

Time to get going! I initially purchased the following:[LIST][*]55 Gal. Clear for Life Uniquarium, black bkgd (36' x 18"d x 20"t)[*]Rio 1700 642gph Pump (included with aquarium)[*]40 lbs. CaribSea SeaFlor Special Grade Reef Sand[*]Live purple rock from LFS system (2 lg, 2 sm)[*]Live rock rubble for refugium[*]36" Current TrueLumen Pro LED Lightstrip Kit (1-12,000K white/453nm Actinic strip & 1-453nm Atinic strip plus dimmers, splitter, brackets & power)[*]45 gals Catalina...
Registered Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 9906 Comments 4 sweetyness is offline Edit Tags
Old

Why the Upgrade to Clear for Life Uniquarium?

Posted 09/20/2012 at 03:45 PM by sweetyness (55 Gal Uniquarium Build)
Updated 09/26/2012 at 09:09 PM by sweetyness

The 2 main reasons for upgrading from a 28 gal Nano Cube to a 55 gal Uniquarium are more gallons (Nano is busting at the seems with coral!), and having a fresh new start (no inherited problems). Plus I want to switch to LED lighting, the Metal Halide I have now runs my electricity up & is too hot, so my air conditioning and fans run more. During these So Cal hot months this year my 2 mo. Electric/water bill went up from $320. to $717.! Ouch!

Reasons for the Uniquarium choice:[LIST][*]I...
Registered Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 7963 Comments 0 sweetyness is offline Edit Tags