Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Unread

Sandbed Added

Posted 07/23/2011 at 01:10 AM by papagimp
Updated 07/23/2011 at 01:15 AM by papagimp

Added 60lbs of Oolitic sand to the tank, spend a week with a massive sandstorm, wound up reaquascaping and now I'm back to waiting on cycle to finish and rustling up some updated equipment and finding old equipment in the garage to put to use.

[IMG]http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=4741&pictureid=33222[/IMG]
COMAS Rocks!
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 13978 Comments 0 Go to first new comment papagimp is offline Edit Tags
Unread

58g Reef

Posted 07/19/2011 at 12:17 AM by papagimp
Updated 07/23/2011 at 01:15 AM by papagimp

[B]58g Reef - July 2011[/B]

After a length absence from the hobby, the wife and I decided to jump back in feet first and get our 58g setup started again. Planning on a mixed reef, with the spotlight on a pair of black and white Ocellaris and most likely a pair of Bangaii's to attempt breeding again.

[IMG]http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=4741&pictureid=32972[/IMG]
COMAS Rocks!
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 14764 Comments 1 Go to first new comment papagimp is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Cryptocaryon Irritans - tank transfer method

Posted 07/02/2011 at 11:40 AM by snorvich (System configuration and fish for my two tanks)
Updated 07/11/2011 at 06:07 AM by snorvich

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
The theory behind the tank transfer method for treating Cryptocaryon irritans is to move a fish from one tank to the other when the parasites fall off the fish. This happens during dark times in the aquarium so moving the animal first thing in the morning is preferred. The parasites that fall off do not have the ability to complete the life cycle and re-attach. This involves transferring the fish every 3 days to a clean tank for at total of 4 transfers. The parasites that leave the fish are left
Team RC member
Views 13787 Comments 0 Go to first new comment snorvich is offline Edit Tags
Unread

Salinity Calibration with Profilux

Posted 06/19/2011 at 09:03 AM by snorvich (System configuration and fish for my two tanks)

Balancing a refractometer against a GHL salinity probe.

The issue comes from the fact that the vast majority of reef keepers still calibrate their refractometer to 0PPT or RO water. Unless your unit is designed specifically for "Natural Sea Water" (and 99.9999% are not) then you have created a wrong slope to your unit and it is reading inaccurate.

Why? Refractometers are designed in the main to read NACL (natural pure salt, or brine) they are not designed...
Team RC member
Posted in Profilux
Views 19749 Comments 0 Go to first new comment snorvich is offline Edit Tags
Unread

How to set up a gyre with powerheads

Posted 06/10/2011 at 12:36 PM by snorvich (System configuration and fish for my two tanks)

If you're only going to run two initially I set them up in a gyre. Since you want the right side clear for viewing, mount one pump on the right side of the back pane as close to the corner as you can and aim it towards the center of the front pane. Put the second pump on the left pane of glass as close to the front of the tank as you can and aim it towards the center of the back pane. You want to push the water across the tank, along the glass to the next pump, and repeat to create a wide circular...
Team RC member
Posted in Builds
Views 42987 Comments 0 Go to first new comment snorvich is offline Edit Tags