Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > Sk8r
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

1. New Comment

Cyano

I'm a little confused about what the steps of this process are. Is this what I should be doing?

I don't have any dragonets or wrasses, so to just clear it up I should start by using a turkey baster to siphon the bigger chunks of the bacteria out and then turn my lights off for 3 days and put a blacker over the tank only to open once a day for feeding. Then on the 4th day I remove the blanket and keep the blue lights on for the time that the lights would normally be on, then on the 5th day I put the light schedule back to normal and then do a water change?

And are you sure that this will be safe for my Elegance coral, my Hammer coral, my little sea anemones and of course my fish??
  2. New Comment

Many things about this hobby are not as hard as people are inclined to think...

Very Encouraging

Just starting out so this sort of information is very much appreciated.
  3. New Comment

Acclimation! How to, how long to drip, etc.

I just use the Doradon acclimation kit, it's quick and easy with guarantee match in all parameters.
  4. New Comment

The Users' Guide to Green Hair Algae

Sk8r, I was trying to find your blog in just Algae. I had no luck. Could you share the link, please?
  5. New Comment

Great read! Going through this right now. Thank you for the information!
  6. New Comment

Thanks for helping me undersstand my problem, hopefully over the next 6 months I'll see an improvement, just in time for the next outbreak
  7. New Comment

Understanding damsels: chromis, clowns, and others

clowns are damsels, and red clowns are more aggressive than most. Due to their tendency to hover over a nem they will take a smaller tank than regular damsels, which like about 100g. The chromis and yellowtails can be in a 50, one at a time.
  8. New Comment

i guess that explains my tank!! this is so help full and im on my wayyy to fixing the problem. Very help full! thank you
  9. New Comment

hello. im a newbie and have heard damsel fish are verry sgressive can damsale fish be in the same tank as clown?
  10. New Comment

hello. im a newbie and have heard damsel fish are verry sgressive can damsale fish be in the same tank as clown?
  11. New Comment

Very nice summary. Thank you!!!
  12. New Comment

Thank you! Now when my tank is in its cycle and it takes on a new hair style I won't freak.. I'll know it's part of the process.
  13. New Comment

Thanks sk8er... good luck sbazain :$
  14. New Comment

green algae

having that problem right now trying to get macro algae I just set up the sump I did a diy overflow and I put it in to quick and I think the gases from the glue crashed my tank two fish died and the ones I saved are always hiding and wont eat did a water change removed the piping and bought a new overflow box water is doing good but they just wont eat can some body help me with this one love my tank want it back
  15. New Comment

That sounds like cyano---a common problem in new tanks. I have another blog entry entitled just plain Algae---and that one explains cyano and how to treat it.
  16. New Comment

Sk8r, what does it mean that once the tank is full and starts getting brown algea ( filled and refilled with treated tap water, switching to ro/di from my local pet store until I can afford a system of my own) When you get bubbles under and all over the live rock? I can see it under a few of my ledges and on some of my rock. Not really after a water change...but after I added my protien skimmer... I will be putting the skimmer in my sump with baffles once i get the sump tank and refugium with baffles built. Is it just from the skimmer? It seems to disperse them fairly well. idk
  17. New Comment

Thanks for the review on hair algae.

Can't wait for the bubble algae primer!
  18. New Comment

Can I keep a mandarin or scooter?

TO ANSWER: re the little white specks on your glass---those are copepods. You may see them vanish once a mandy gets to work---if you know your setup is good, it's probably because even something that tiny has the sense to hide when there's a predator picking them off. Feeding your fish frozen mysis will also bring in some frozen eggs of mysis apparently, because those start turning up, too...
    A caution about using a GFO reactor---if you have a mandy or scooter, do NOT run the thing until you do in ALL your film algae, because that supports microlife like the copepods, and it also directly feeds blennies and other film eaters like the Hector's Goby.
  19. New Comment

I wanted to report that my Mandarin is getting fat. The area behind its rib cage was very pinched when it came home from the LFS. It has a much smoother taper and seems to be eating like a king.

I stuffed some Cheato down in the "sump" and the pods have colonized it. I've also let a little algae grow on the glass and it looks like that's the happy hunting ground.

Long term I think this tank is too small to self sustain a pod population and a Mandarin. I'm going to culture some pods externally and try to train it to eat in a Mandrin Diner till the pods are ready.

It's good that you have this info out there. Every LFS I've visited has at least one Mandarin and customers are always asking about them. With most priced at $35+ I've only had one shop explain their needs correctly and that's the one that sold it to me.

Thanks again!
  20. New Comment

As always Sk8r, excellent post. I have both (not in the same tank) and my scooter eats chunks of krill I didn't think he could even get in his mouth. He blasts it out a couple of times but gets it down. Fun to watch!

Thanks Sk8r Bravo to you for the time and effort you put into this site as well as your tank. It can't be easy being a mod and you are a good one.

Respects always,

Sport/Roger