Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > edandsandy
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rate this Entry

Our first attempt at raising Perculas

Posted 09/10/2012 at 07:04 AM by edandsandy

[QUOTE=edandsandy;20664436]Day 5
the larvae seem to be doing just fine, other than we had 3 dead larvae this morning. I cleaned the bottom of the tank, removed 1g of water and replaced 1g of water with the dosing pump... It takes appx 2-1/2 hours using the dosing pump... I added 2ml of RG Complete and will introduce just a bit of BBS this afternoon.

I hope the link works for the video...

[url]http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff177/salligood/CF44C77D-FE50-49A7-A639-0C519049BCF7-4854-0000041F7C8A124E.mp4[/url][/QUOTE]
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 45393 Comments 2 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. New Comment
    I have 2 perculas as well and have been wanting to try this, I have one that's quite a bit larger than the other though ( maybe twice the size, can that work or do they need to be more similar? i know the female is the larger of the two but im not sure they can reproduce with such a difference in maturity
  2. New Comment

clownfish size disparity

I never bred clowns, but my experience with shooting video of them underwater is that the male is always much smaller than the dominant female.
    She restricts his movements and feeding to keep him from getting more dominant and perhaps changing to a female.
    The largest female I ever saw was a Tomato Clown in Fiji that was literally the size of my hand, while the male looked like one of her offspring. The male isn't smaller because of immaturity. They still have to bond as a pair and produce eggs so that should be the determining factor rather than the males maturity.