Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs > System configuration and fish for my two tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Hardware components of my two primary tanks and some of the fish I keep
Rate this Entry

The LFS Paradox

Posted 02/08/2014 at 11:41 AM by snorvich
Updated 03/18/2014 at 05:38 PM by snorvich

The LFS Paradox
I see a fair number of people that watch perspective fish purchases at the LFS to determine if they are healthy. However, there are some problems with this strategy, what I call "The LFS Paradox".

1. Many LFS run a non-therapeutic dose of copper in their fish system. Sounds good, right? Actually, no. A low level of Copper will mask Velvet (which I have seen happen multiple times) and according to some, also ich (because I use Tank transfer, I have not seen this, but the source is reliable (thanks Peter)).

2. The presence of a parasite does not have to have visible symptoms

3. A parasite, once established, will have behavioral consequences, but how many know how to recognize those?

4. LFS have fish systems which share water and they are always getting new shipments. The longer a fish is at the LFS, the higher the probability it contracted a parasite or infection.

This is just an informational post. I am not trying to convince folks, just making people aware.
« Prev     Main     Next »