Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tank Journals & Builds (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=679)
-   -   homer1475's 80 gallon build (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2560256)

homer1475 02/19/2016 11:55 AM

homer1475's 80 gallon build

Well its been just over a year since I started my 29G biocube, and I have always wanted a larger tank, but seeing as things have changed so dramatically in the 20 years since I used to have a reef tank, I figured I would go small to get my feet wet. Everything has gone splendid with the nano reef so I figured it was time to upgrade.

Bought a SC Aquariums(thanks for the link Soulpatch) 80G rimless reef ready(32x24x24) PNP system complete with 30G sump, return pump, and skimmer. I want to do this on a semi budget so I decided I would reuse quite a bit from my biocube. Stuff I'm reusing, 2 MP10WES, full apex, Tunze nano ATO(that will get upgraded at some point to the 3155), 3 BRS dosing pumps, BRS nano reactor that will only house carbon, and the sicce syncra 1.5 return to feed the reactors.

Equipment I've bought so far:
2 Mars Aqua 30" LED's(modded to work with the apex), new sand, 50# of dry pukani(I'm reusing the 40# I have in my cube), screen top, Various gate and ball valves, red and blue schedule 40 pipe, Taotronics LED's for cabinet lighting(thanks again Soulpatch for the idea), breakout box and magnetic switches to turn the cabinet lights on when you open the doors.

I'm certainly going to take my time and do this right. Tank gets delivered on Monday so I'll post up some pics then.

Since nothing has been started other then cycling the rock in a brute container, I figured I would just get this thread started.

soulpatch 02/19/2016 12:02 PM

my consulting invoice is in the mail.

homer1475 02/19/2016 12:27 PM

WOW I so feel like a newbie again! I'm even rereading the setup stickies in the new to the hobby section, just to make sure I'm not forgetting something.

soulpatch 02/19/2016 12:31 PM

Wait till you get it going. I have spent quite a few hours rereading cycle, TTM and QT methods as it has been a year since I did any

ReefWreak 02/19/2016 12:41 PM

One of the things that I'm really happy about is that MP10s have enough flow to be used in larger tank setups, so we'll see how well they work out in yours as well! Tagging along!

ZeeSparrow 02/19/2016 01:12 PM

Though I don't comment much, I have been following along in your other thread. I shall continue to do so, here. :)

homer1475 02/19/2016 01:16 PM

Only thing I've seen, on 12mm glass and at full speed, the wet side will work, but also spin the entire wet side inside the tank slightly. I'm curious to see if it happens on 11mm glass.

I will add though, in my biocube, I have the 2 mp10's and one hydor 240 pump that turns on for 10 minutes every hour pointed at the surface to aid in gas exchange. So I'm 100% positive I'll either be adding more powerheads, or mp40's, or maybe even a gyre? I've been reading good things about the gyre now that their in revision 2.

homer1475 02/19/2016 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soulpatch (Post 24340776)
Wait till you get it going. I have spent quite a few hours rereading cycle, TTM and QT methods as it has been a year since I did any

I will say that because I read and post quite a bit in the "New To The Hobby" section, I still know and remember quite a bit about water chemistry and setting up a new tank.

Only thing that's throwing me, using dry rock instead of live rock. I've never setup a tank with dry rock, so I've had to do a lot of research and question asking on that procedure. And yet I'm still a little confused on the whole process, specially with using dry pukani that's known to leach phosphates for a very long time. I have some lanthanum chloride on order so I think I know what to do. :hmm3:

ReefWreak 02/19/2016 01:31 PM

Do you have a filter sock ready for the lanthanum? Going to run the BRS reactors with GFO?

You're not doing a refugium, right? It's weird, I recommend a refugium for small tanks, but on larger tanks, I'm not so sure... I think an ATS would be a sweet setup if you have the room for it, but they can become so good at nutrient removal it becomes problematic. I dunno, I'm sorta surprised that it seems like ATS/refugiums/macroalgae as a nutrient export is resurging again in popularity in the hobby. There are some cool ATS plans in the DIY forum if you have any interest in taking a look.

soulpatch 02/19/2016 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homer1475 (Post 24340893)
Only thing I've seen, on 12mm glass and at full speed, the wet side will work, but also spin the entire wet side inside the tank slightly. I'm curious to see if it happens on 11mm glass.

I will add though, in my biocube, I have the 2 mp10's and one hydor 240 pump that turns on for 10 minutes every hour pointed at the surface to aid in gas exchange. So I'm 100% positive I'll either be adding more powerheads, or mp40's, or maybe even a gyre? I've been reading good things about the gyre now that their in revision 2.

I have a gyre and would pass on it again honestly. The rocks break up a lot of the laminar motion. Since it is so non directional it is a pain to put where you want.

If you are good with wires in the tank then I would go 2 RW8 instead of a gyre.

Or swap out the MP10 and grab some MP40s

soulpatch 02/19/2016 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReefWreak (Post 24340931)
Do you have a filter sock ready for the lanthanum? Going to run the BRS reactors with GFO?

You're not doing a refugium, right? It's weird, I recommend a refugium for small tanks, but on larger tanks, I'm not so sure... I think an ATS would be a sweet setup if you have the room for it, but they can become so good at nutrient removal it becomes problematic. I dunno, I'm sorta surprised that it seems like ATS/refugiums/macroalgae as a nutrient export is resurging again in popularity in the hobby. There are some cool ATS plans in the DIY forum if you have any interest in taking a look.

I am contemplating going ATS myself if I change out my sump later. But I wanted the refugium more so as a safe place for pod growth. You dont get that in a ATS setup. Though the ATS is more efficient with nutrient export I think there are pros to both.

I think the hobby is seeing the resurgence of the refugium as sumps are now coming stock with areas for them and other equipment has gotten smaller and more efficient to give room to run one in people's stands.

ReefWreak 02/19/2016 02:17 PM

I think that part of the refugium is the smaller equipment, but I think a lot of it is that nutrients are much more under control than ever before. It's the whole thing of how the SPS guys now are scaling back their equipment because their nutrients are too low.

I wonder what it is that is finally reducing nutrient levels. Maybe people are finally getting out of "fish-only tank" mindset and are feeding more conservatively? Or that skimmers are really that much better? Or are the salt mixes that much better? Whatever it is, it's interesting, because ATS/refugiums have been around for decades, and have never really been as prominent as right now, or seen as viable of a solution until now.

soulpatch 02/19/2016 02:20 PM

I have always grown up with a refugium. My dad has a 110 gallon refugium in the basement plumbed into his DT. Though he runs a fowlr and overfeeds so it helps him out.

That said I can see the benefits and no matter what you use it is better to have the algae in a controlled area. One can always cut back on the level of algae or ats run time to keep some nutrients in the DT if desired.

homer1475 02/19/2016 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReefWreak (Post 24340931)

Don't need the filter sock for the lanthanum since I'm doing it in a brute while I cycle the rock. Since theres nothing in there, no need to worry about the precipitation.

And yes Iplan on having a refugium with chaeto in the middle part of the sump. I really need to get the tank, stand, and sump here to see what I'm really working with. Worst case scenario, I dump the stand and sump, and build my own. I have already thought about it and it's not a huge expense to do it myself.

To be quite honest, the 80 was a deal I couldn't pass up. the tank alone was more then he gave me the entire setup for. So even if I scrap the stand and sump, I'm still ahead of the game with the skimmer(which I've read is actually a pretty decent skimmer), RR tank with 3 holes(although I still wish I could do a bean animal style), and return all for less then just a bare 2 hole tank.

soulpatch 02/19/2016 03:14 PM

The tank is drillable should you want to add a hole at the top for a return and use the three in the overflow for a bean animal...

homer1475 02/19/2016 03:26 PM

Not sure how one would do a bean animal in a RR tank that already has a tower overflow. I don't think it will work the way it should. I discussed it in beans thread and was told the herbie setup would be better with a tower overflow.

Meh now I'm starting to overthink things..... Just when I had a plan all laid out, it gets shot to hell by one little post. :D

soulpatch 02/19/2016 03:30 PM

There is no difference between herbie and bean except the extra emergency. No reason it would not work for in tower overflow.

homer1475 02/22/2016 05:55 AM

I guess it all depends on how much room is in the tower.

Tank is coming today at some point and I'm super excited to get this project off and running.

Once I seal and paint the stand I'm going to have to move the biocube to the other side of my living room so I can see exactly where the new tank is going and exactly where I need to brace my floor. Not to impressed with having to nearly totally drain the cube to slide it 20 feet across the carpet(really hoping it doesn't bunch the carpet in the process). Thinking 15G water change should suffice and take it down to nearly empty(I guesstimate I have about 23G total water after displacement). Corals all should be fine out of water for an hour or 2?

Went to Lowe's last night to look at EMT conduit for the lights, not really sold on that idea, and the wife said I was most certainly not hanging them from the ceiling. So I got some thinking to do......... More then likely will end up doing EMT conduit with bought elbows as opposed to bending it, that way I can loosen a screw on the connector and pull the lights off the conduit should I need to work in the tank.

soulpatch 02/22/2016 08:38 AM

You might have more success looking into 80/20 aluminum brackets and mounting them to a cantilever TV mount so you could rotate it out of the way as needed. With the canopy coming you could also use that to build a "box" around the light mount to give it a better look.

homer1475 02/22/2016 10:05 AM

No canopy that's why I'm looking into the conduit method. If I had a canopy I would just mount them the top of that with some holes cut out for ventilation.

soulpatch 02/22/2016 10:08 AM

I thought all of his stands came with a canopy. Though I didn't look into the smaller sizes so perhaps not.

Guess you find out soon enough though.

homer1475 02/22/2016 07:54 PM

Tank finally arrived!!!

Couple small issues. I don't like the sump layout, so I think I'll be tearing that apart and making it to fit my needs. The return section is nearly twice as large as the refugium section, and only one over under baffle. I want to move the baffles over a couple inches making the return section smaller while increasing the refugium section, and adding a third over baffle.Whats the best way to break the silicone seal so I can move the baffles around?

Skimmer body and bubble cup is cracked, called Steve at SCA and hes mailing me a new one.

Ordered new bulkheads and unions and gate valves all based off of having 2 1" holes, and 1 1/2" hole. Tank has all 3 holes as 1". Not a huge issue but I have to order new stuff and contact BRS to mail back the stuff I don't need. I'm sure the S&H to mail it back I'll have to pay :s

Long story short, tank looks amazing, well put together and the silicone work is superb. All around I'm happy with the purchase.

I put the MDF stand together and have sealed the corners with caulk. Tomorrow I'll get some primer on it and possibly painted. One thing I have to say, their instructions are horrible! It's a good thing I have some knowledge in putting stuff like this together and it went together fairly easy.

Cracked skimmer body:
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2...222_173242.jpg

Cracked bubble box:
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2...222_173249.jpg

Stand with seems caulked:
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2...222_204829.jpg

Back of stand. I really like the large cutout for wires and the plumbing.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2...222_204901.jpg

I'm not super happy with the stand(I know how these cam lock POS's are), but it will work and its not terribly ugly. Should have ponied up another 100$ for an all wood stand. But hidsight is always 20/20.

soulpatch 02/22/2016 08:09 PM

I would go to home depot and get some galvanized corner braces just in case for the stand.

Wish you posted your plumbing order and I would have told you all drains are the same. They were only different when he had 2 hole tanks

homer1475 02/23/2016 08:55 AM

Got my first coat of primer on the stand and doors, and ordered up a couple magnetic switches for the doors(lights in the cabinet will turn on when you open the doors).

Got an email from Steve over at SCA for a proof of purchase receipt on the skimmer so they can replace it, only problem is, I don't have a receipt! I ordered the tank directly from him over the phone and never got an email with a receipt or anything. It will be interesting to see what they do since I don't have a receipt. After talking several times to Steve when I ordered the tank, he knows who I am, and I'm sure they will make it right.

soulpatch 02/23/2016 08:59 AM

Yeah I would be shocked. The FB page is filled with how he goes above and beyond to help out people (even those that damage their own items by mistake)