Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Reef Chemistry Forum (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   how much sodium thiosulfate to neutralize bleach. (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1823791)

floridazooguy 03/29/2010 03:13 PM

how much sodium thiosulfate to neutralize bleach.

Is it 7 to 1 ? Also does anyone on here us bleach in water then neutralize with sodium thiosulfate. If so how much bleach per gallon of water.
Thank you

Boomer 03/29/2010 05:08 PM

You have to know how much bleach was added in x amount of water. What are you doing ? For 1 ppm bleach as Chlorine it is 2 - 7 parts sodium thiosulfate generally.

floridazooguy 03/30/2010 08:54 AM

I hatch brine shrimp out in a 4 gallon cone hatcher. I put water in bleach then use sodium thiosulfate. I also use bleach to decap brine shrimp then use thiosulfate empty and rinse. I could use a chlorine test kit to get it perfect but wanted to know around what ratio people use and also how they do the ratio with liquid bleach and not liquid sodium thiosulfate.

Boomer 03/30/2010 10:09 AM

As I said you have to know what the chlorine level is. Most LST is for tap water with chlorine at 1-2 ppm.

Why do you put bleach in the water and then add sodium thiosulfate ?

When ever you put bleach in the water, for what reason and are done with it dump out water and rise with warm water, add new water back and add sodium thiosulfate at 4 x of std liquid LFS sodium thiosulfate. If you bleach an object, rinse well in warm water, put in bucket of new water and add std LFS liquid sodium thiosulfate at 4 x, take you and re-rinse and you are good to go. You may only need 2 x and the extra 2x is for you, as you are not mean doing the rinsing and I rise well and allot :) I use to spray heavily dead coral, hoses, skimmers, etc. and gravel in 100 % bleach when I did monthly maintenance on my tanks. Then I would rise them off, place then in a bucket of water and add the dechlor, take out rinse again and stick them back in tank. I did this for almost 40 years with issues when the animals went back in the tanks. An in my FW tank I us to spray 100 bleach on large drift wood pieces, rinse and do the same.

how they do the ratio with liquid bleach and not liquid sodium thiosulfate.

That makes no sense. Do you mean you have powdered sodium thiosulfate and want to add that to the bleached water, as in x cups of sodium thiosulfate / y gal so water ? We are back to square one. You have to know how much bleach you added / x gal of water to know how much thio to add, otherwise it is a guessing game.

floridazooguy 03/30/2010 02:20 PM

Thanks boomer