Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Reef Chemistry Forum (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Dosing Vodka while Using Nitrate Denitrator... (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2089574)

DarthSimon 11/01/2011 08:53 AM

Dosing Vodka while Using Nitrate Denitrator...

Hey Guys,
I have a Koralin Denitrator Setup now, with the Sulfur and crushed coral media... 2 Drips per second..

Should I continue to dose? I'm on my third week, and I'm at 2.8ml. Never saw a drop in trades... 220 gallons water...

Thx,
Steve

HighlandReefer 11/01/2011 06:01 PM

I have not used a Sulfur Nitrate Denitrator. ;)

It is possible that the vodka may increase the bacteria growth in the reactor.

Tom has experience with both the denitrator and vodka dosing. He may chime in a bit later. :)

bertoni 11/01/2011 08:48 PM

I'd just watch for signs of trouble, at this point. Do you have an ORP probe for the sulfur reactor?

DarthSimon 11/01/2011 08:59 PM

I do not have an ORP probe .... Should I?

bertoni 11/01/2011 09:37 PM

I probably wouldn't bother buying one, but they do allow you to measure the state of the reactor. I'd just watch the reactor output for signs of any trouble.

eland 11/05/2011 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bertoni (Post 19469858)
I probably wouldn't bother buying one, but they do allow you to measure the state of the reactor. I'd just watch the reactor output for signs of any trouble.

What type of signs should we look for because I am doing the same thing now. I have an ORP probe in the sump and I have noticed a slight drop in the ORP reading but I think it was mainly due to the vodka dosing.

bertoni 11/05/2011 12:46 PM

I was thinking of an ORP probe in the reactor. Some designs allow that. I wouldn't worry about the ORP drop in the sump.

Dave & Monica 11/05/2011 11:07 PM

I use to run a sulfur reactor, (3 wks ago) and am now switching to carbon dosing (Vodka and Vinegar). Reason is my sulfur reactor keeps leaking, and instead of building a new one, decided to give carbon a methodical, honest try -

From what I know of sulfur reactors, and what I've read about carbon dosing, they are not something you would do at the same time.

Why?

Sulfur reactor grows bacteria within the reactor that consumes Sulfur and NO3. This brings your NO3 within your tank to really low levels.

Carbon dosing adds a carbon source for bacteria to reproduce within the whole tank environment that consumes NO3 and PO4 in proportionate amounts while also feeding corals and sponges.

My assertion -- is that NO3 would be a limiting factor in a tank to make dosing carbon effective. That's my 2 cents.

DarthSimon 11/06/2011 07:00 AM

When I set my Reactor up a week ago I had leaks coming from a few different spots. What solved that issue 100 percent was tightening the bolts under the face plate with a wrench and screw driver. For hours I couldn't figure out why this thing was leaking. Finally the great guy I bought this unit from troubleshooted the issue with me over the phone.

Results do far:
Nitrates coming out of the Reactor are now 45. I started at 80. That took 5 full days. As far as I'm concerned that is results. I could immediately tell there was a difference. I'm using 3 different test kits and usually with 80 plus on NO3 they turn beat red really fast once all the solutions and shakes are done, now it takes the required time, and I'd not as dark red.

I haven't bothered to check nitrates in the Display yet. From what I read, I have some time on that....

Steve

Steve

Dave & Monica 11/06/2011 07:26 PM

Steve - Indeed, the Sulfur reactor works. My issue is the whole is tapped a bit to big, and no amount of teflon tape can hold it in to withstand even a little bit of pressure. I ended up using silicone as well, and that didn't work. Still I want to fix the unit as a fall back plan. Good luck.

tmz 11/06/2011 10:47 PM

The reactor is a low oxygen and ultimately a low nitrate environment with low flow. Organic carbon will get in there from miscible carbon sources like vodka and vinegar and fuel sulfate reducing bacteria and hydrogen sulfide as a by product once the nitrate feeding the reactor is used up,ime. This may be worse when argonite media is also added giving more potential anoxic zones.
Once the nitrate in the tank NO3 hits 0 contiumed use of the reactor along with dosing organic carbon will lead to an organic carbon buildup with no N for the bacteria that consume the carbon along with N and P to use.
A bit of time overlapping the two methods,ie ,a sulfur dentrator and orgnic carbon dosing. may be ok but long term I'd choose one or the other. Organic carbon dosing has the advantage,imo since it reduces some PO4 as well as NO3.

DarthSimon 11/09/2011 09:10 PM

So after 9 days nitrates coming out of the Denatrator are now 20ppm.. Tank water is 50-60 still... I have to release the air valve once a day at least? How am I doing so far?

bertoni 11/09/2011 10:09 PM

Sounds like good progress to me. :)

Dave & Monica 11/09/2011 11:37 PM

You just don't want the gas to build up too much in the chamber. The gas is released as often as you think it's needed - really depends on where the recirculating pump is. The important item I've learned and read here on RC is to reduce the output of the effulent to one drop per second, until it reads 0ppm of No3. After that, increase the drip rate to two drops until you read 0, then 3 drops, ..... once you get to 5+ you won't have to degas the unit. Good luck.