Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS) (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   5 gallon plastic bottles (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2147187)

artkwan 03/18/2012 09:20 AM

5 gallon plastic bottles

Does anyone know where to get affordable 5 gallon water jug bottlest without breaking the bank? These would be the blue colored ones. Just want to make sure that they are food grade and are BPA free. Was just thinking about it and figured I would post here before I jumped in my car and drive out in the rain, LOL.

Arthur

CLeadfootS 03/18/2012 09:37 AM

I got my 7 gallon blue BPA free container at walmart in the camping section for cheap.

Mrcat 03/18/2012 10:55 AM

Winco has the square 5 gallon jugs for $5.

<Br>
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hagisan 03/18/2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

I got my 7 gallon blue BPA free container at walmart in the camping section for cheap.
Same here. I like the pour nozzle that came incorporated with the cap.

artkwan 03/18/2012 11:30 AM

That's awesome, guys.

Will make the run out there to get one. Also, what would you recommend as far as a food grade container for SW mixing for water changes that is square or rectangle in shape? i have a limitation as far as spce in concerned, and the maximum width or depth is approximately 12-13 inches. I have verticle simensions to my advantage, just not horizontal space. Also preferign a container that has a top that is removable for me to add an ATO and a circulating pump inside.

Any thoughts there?

Steventnguyen 03/20/2012 01:48 PM

Craigslist have some

GuySmily 03/20/2012 03:26 PM

The square 5gal winco jugs are perfect for mixing saltwater. Add 2.5 cups instant ocean, shake (I actually just twist back and forth 15-20 times, which is a workout at 40 lbs!), and I'm done.

I use the 5gal jugs for ATO too, but they only last a few days.

If you see jugs with black o-rings in the caps, let me know. I think they come from a different manufacturer, since the handle shape, markings, and even the threading on the cap are different. The white o-ring version has to be tightened hard or it leaks, which makes it harder to unscrew later.

artkwan 03/21/2012 07:25 AM

I was just thinking, in my effort to be even more lazier than I am already, are there any square plastic containers in existence that area even bigger that the 5 or 7 galllons one we are talking about, where the gallonage starts getting into the 20 /30 area, where, I can mix saltwater less often for the salt water changes? Something where it would sit on a stand, and where I would not need to move it. I saw a link on CL for the 5 gallon ones, which I will consider getting to transfer my RODI water to another location (Come to think of it - I should think about just getting a second RODI unit, LOL). I have considered the Brute series cans, but theye are too big, diameter wise...

Arthur