Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Anemones & Clownfish (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Bubble tip anemone totally retracted (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2678142)

Shark888 06/11/2018 06:42 AM

Bubble tip anemone totally retracted

2 Attachment(s)
Hello,

It is normal for an anemone to totally retract like this (see pics) ?

I got this yesterday and it was fine until now.

SalinFL 06/11/2018 07:58 AM

I'd say yes, as long as you are certain your water parameters are good. Excluding those factors, you will come to learn that bta's are unique in their behavior, in my opinion. One day they look fabulous and another day not so much. They have cycles of being lush and full of fluid which change to days later looking a quarter of their size and hardly extended. I'm sure others will respond, but from all that I have read and experienced, these are their elimination cycles as well as growth cycles. After seven years of keeping them, my original one is now six. Given time, you'll start to notice patterns in their behavior. Like many inhabitants, mine shrink as the lights dim and turn off for the night and then inflate as morning/mid-day progresses - my lights start coming on around 1:30 and don't ramp up till about 3:30. I'd give it some time to acclimate before freaking out. Check your water parameters, refresh your carbon and enjoy the little guy.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

accel 06/11/2018 08:27 AM

I agree with SalinFL regarding the cycles. I have two BTAs. My rose looks normal. Deflates badly at 3pm and then back to normal at any time of the day.

My green bta is the worst. His cycle are quite not the same as the rose. His mouth is open and looks like it's dying (way worst than your photos). There's been many times I was tempted to take it out but after an hour, it's back and bubbly again. Initially it will go under the rock when it gets night then in the morning moves to the top. I inverted the rock and so far it stayed at the top.

Shark888 06/11/2018 09:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It is currently in my coral QT tank with all parameters ok.

Since my post it has inflate back, very strange animal lol

How do you know when an anemone is going to die ?

accel 06/11/2018 01:27 PM

Good question. I guess you really just have to monitor and observe it. My green bta has fooled me multiple times. The anemomes I knew that died didn't went onto the usual cycle of inflation and deflation. I think if it's deflated for 2 or 3 days, it's a bad sign (at least that's what I noticed in long tentacle anemones)

Shark888 06/12/2018 08:43 AM

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

SalinFL 06/14/2018 07:20 AM

You can tell you need to serve them their last rights when you start to actually see decay of the tissues. They appear to melt for a lack of a better word. Almost like looking into a bowl of egg drop soup. Parts of their mouth and tentacles will become a stringy/slimy mess in the water flow of the tank. That's when you have to act fast, remove them and any of their goop that is visually in the water column. Do a water change, change out or rinse well your filter medium and test the water. Depending on how quickly you noticed the problem, additional water changes might be needed. Be patient.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk