Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reef Discussion (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Salt water TURTLE for a reef tank? (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1583114)

RV7AFlyer 02/23/2009 12:56 AM

Salt water TURTLE for a reef tank?

Does anyone have a salt water turtle in their ref tank? Does anyone know where you could buy one? Is it legal to keep one? Would they eat the coral? I never thought of having a turtle in a tank until my daughter Ariel asked me today if we could get one.

jbird69 02/23/2009 01:07 AM

Okay,, judging from your hobby experience on your profile, I'm calling this a troll.

TellyFish 02/23/2009 01:21 AM

No...

(there are so many reasons that applies, pretty much the answer to all of those questions)

Not something a casual hobbyist can pull off due to legality, size, etc... I am sure someone can chime in with more details.

RV7AFlyer 02/23/2009 01:23 AM

Seems crazy but I don't think I have ever even thought about having a Turtle in a reef tank. I have had salt tanks since 1982 and dive around Turtles in Maui every year but until my daughter mentioned it I don't think I have ever thought about it.

dwd5813 02/23/2009 01:31 AM

Re: Salt water TURTLE for a reef tank?

this is pretty much the only question you asked that matters.

Quote:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14460685#post14460685 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RV7AFlyer
Is it legal to keep one?
the answer,

1. All eight species of sea turtles are listed as threatened or endangered on the U.S. Endangered and Threatened Wildlife and Plants List. It is illegal to harm, or in any way interfere with , a sea turtle or its eggs.

2. The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) is an international treaty developed in 1973 to regulate trade in certain wildlife species. CITES protects all species of sea turtles. The U.S. and 115 other countries have banned the import or export of sea turtle products. http://www.seaworld.org/infobooks/Se.../stconser.html

precludes the necessity of asking any others.

further reading:
http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/species/turtles/

BuddhaKiss 02/23/2009 01:36 AM

Here ya go....and it requires no feeding!!

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/3369/product.web

dwd5813 02/23/2009 01:38 AM

:lol:

DGee 02/23/2009 01:42 AM

RV7AFlyer 02/24/2009 01:36 AM

Turtles in a REEF TANK.

DANG IT!......... I guess I can't get one.

ludnix 02/24/2009 05:58 AM

Re: Turtles in a REEF TANK.

Quote:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14469254#post14469254 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RV7AFlyer
DANG IT!......... I guess I can't get one.
Even if you could would you be really willing to go through the work of setting up a huge tank for one?

Whys 02/24/2009 06:50 AM

Quote:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14460810#post14460810 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BuddhaKiss
Here ya go....and it requires no feeding!!

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/3369/product.web

Know where I could get a breeding pair? :D

Whys 02/24/2009 06:52 AM

More seriously...

Is there a reason it has to be saltwater? There are a lot of small fresh water turtles available.

Juruense 02/24/2009 07:42 AM

No turtle makes a good pet including fresh water ones. They are very long lived animals and require advanced care and feeding. Reptiles and amphibians make poor pets and require an extreme commitment for decades in some cases. Do not attempt to keep reptiles and amphibians as pets.

Akronviper 02/24/2009 08:19 AM

Daughter Areial? Like the little mermaid? Her tank should be big enough but I dont think Flounder likes turtles. :)

Whys 02/24/2009 08:29 AM

I would say this is great oppertunity for your daughter to learn that in life one doesn't always get what they want.

How'bout a pair of these? She can take them with her everywhere. :)

http://www.crazyforbargains.com/seatuanslfor.html

chimmike 02/24/2009 08:56 AM

I'm calling this one a troll too. It's far too comical a question to be serious.

:lol:

hoosierpat 02/24/2009 09:22 AM

Juruense -- Seriously?! Hard pets to keep and you're on a reef aquarium forum? I think all the little kids who have no problem keeping their bearded dragons, leopard geckos, ball pythons, russian tortoises, and the myriad of other very simple reptiles to keep would argue with you. Last time I checked, most saltwater fish live decades, some snails live over a hundred years, and corals really have no definable lifespan so it doesn't seem like a reptile is such a daunting task in light of that.

GSMguy 02/24/2009 10:06 AM

Quote:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14470427#post14470427 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hoosierpat
Juruense -- Seriously?! Hard pets to keep and you're on a reef aquarium forum? I think all the little kids who have no problem keeping their bearded dragons, leopard geckos, ball pythons, russian tortoises, and the myriad of other very simple reptiles to keep would argue with you. Last time I checked, most saltwater fish live decades, some snails live over a hundred years, and corals really have no definable lifespan so it doesn't seem like a reptile is such a daunting task in light of that.

Your kidding right? Very funny.

RV7AFlyer 02/24/2009 10:12 AM

Ludnix..........

I was thinking of a baby Sea Turtle......... 3"- 6" and when it got too big I could let it go in the ocean. I don't think they have to learn to hunt for food from their mom. I think the little guy would survive. I am about 1/2 done aquiring everything to set up another tank: 470 gallon 84"x 36"x 36" with a 300 gallon sump. I wasn't planning on keeping the turtle until it could pull me around under water.

NCNBilly 02/24/2009 10:17 AM

Re: Ludnix..........

Quote:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14470777#post14470777 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RV7AFlyer
I was thinking of a baby Sea Turtle......... 3"- 6" and when it got too big I could let it go in the ocean. I don't think they have to learn to hunt for food from their mom. I think the little guy would survive. I am about 1/2 done aquiring everything to set up another tank: 470 gallon 84"x 36"x 36" with a 300 gallon sump. I wasn't planning on keeping the turtle until it could pull me around under water.

Still illegal...

Sea Polar 02/24/2009 10:18 AM

I'm thinking just one turtle poop is enough to crash, crash, crash. Have you ever seen or smelled turtle poop? Ewww lol.

GSMguy 02/24/2009 10:35 AM

Re: Ludnix..........

Quote:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14470777#post14470777 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RV7AFlyer
Fail!:confused:

Juruense 02/24/2009 10:40 AM

Quote:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14470427#post14470427 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hoosierpat
No I was not kidding, I was totally serious. I do not support keeping any reptile or amphibian as a pet. I have learned this the hard way, you do what you have to do. When you have a turtle that you decide to keep as a whim and you are looking at having to take care of it for another 20-40 or even 60 years get back to me... Its a serious long term commitment.

jbird69 02/24/2009 10:57 AM

The sea turtle is a horrible idea. Youd probably have to buy it on the black market. and when it got too big your going to release it? where on the oregon coast? Or fly it to the tropics in your checked baggage? The issue is not if it can find food in the wild after captivity, its can it identify a predator. and how will it cope with 20' seas. It will be doomed from the day you aquire it. Sorry for the negativity, but I think you need to be talked out of the idea.

as for reptiles being poor choices for pets. I wholeheartedly disagree. There are snakes lizards and turtles that are not good in captivity, but there are many that definitly make great pets. I have had 100s of snakes, mostly constrictors and they make fantastic pets. In fact, I have always believed that a red tail boa is in the top 2 perfect pets to own...a close second to a good dog. :)

pjewett 02/24/2009 11:14 AM

What is the concensus definition of a TROLL?