Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Reef Chemistry Forum (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Wonky Parameters (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2657907)

SaltmanBasssa 11/11/2017 06:39 PM

Wonky Parameters

Guys -

Some wonky parameters I am trying to figure out.

Tank: red sea reefer 450 (92 gal), Radion XR30w, Reef Octopus Regal 150-int,
Sal: 1.0245 (32.5 - Apex)
Temp: 77.8 (Apex)
PHOS: 0 - API kit
Nitrate: 0 -API kit
Calc:450 -Red Sea
PH: 8.18 (Apex probe)

Here we go: Alk - 9.5-9.8, Mag: 1800! Yes, 1800! (both RED SEA kit)

I've been running the tank for about 10 months, have seen SPS very healthy (mushrooms, leathers), any LPS - bubble, open brain, have all suffered greatly. Also, no healthy Coraline algae growth (desired) at all.

TONS of "pineapple" sponges in the sump!

Using AquaForest Sea Salt, however, not performing regular water changes (only occasional)- RODI

Would love some help and recommendations -

THANKS!

hegeh 11/11/2017 07:02 PM

Nutrient too low for lps since you said its suffered. Coralline algae is nuisance but its nice to have on rocks only. Overall its good imo.. let mg down by its self and wc. Happy sps happy reefer [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

hegeh 11/11/2017 07:04 PM

"I've been running the tank for about 10 months, have seen SPS very healthy (mushrooms, leathers)"

These are not sps.. [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

bertoni 11/12/2017 04:23 PM

I might consider some water changes with a lower-magnesium salt product, but those levels are fine as is. Is there any coralline in the tank at all? You might need to seed the tank with a variety that will grow with the lighting that you have. I had issues with that when I upgraded lighting on a small tank.

SaltmanBasssa 11/12/2017 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaltmanBasssa (Post 25270970)
Guys -

Some wonky parameters I am trying to figure out.

Tank: red sea reefer 450 (92 gal), Radion XR30w, Reef Octopus Regal 150-int,
Sal: 1.0245 (32.5 - Apex)
Temp: 77.8 (Apex)
PHOS: 0 - API kit
Nitrate: 0 -API kit
Calc:450 -Red Sea
PH: 8.18 (Apex probe)

Here we go: Alk - 9.5-9.8, Mag: 1800! Yes, 1800! (both RED SEA kit)

I've been running the tank for about 10 months, have seen SPS very healthy (mushrooms, leathers), any LPS - bubble, open brain, have all suffered greatly. Also, no healthy Coraline algae growth (desired) at all.

TONS of "pineapple" sponges in the sump!

Using AquaForest Sea Salt, however, not performing regular water changes (only occasional)- RODI

Would love some help and recommendations -

THANKS!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bertoni (Post 25271861)
I might consider some water changes with a lower-magnesium salt product, but those levels are fine as is. Is there any coralline in the tank at all? You might need to seed the tank with a variety that will grow with the lighting that you have. I had issues with that when I upgraded lighting on a small tank.

Bertoni - what type of "seed" coraline would you recommend under LED's? is there a specific I might need to seed with? Might I consider some additional 'live rock' already seeded?

thanks for the advice - currently NO coraline is visible in the tank.

fszlin 11/12/2017 11:02 PM

I am also getting high Mag reading from red sea kit.
Was using the red sea coral pro salt come with the reefer, then regular IO, but Mag remain around 1750-1800.

What’s your reagent lot #? Mine is 526…

bertoni 11/13/2017 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaltmanBasssa (Post 25272142)
Bertoni - what type of "seed" coraline would you recommend under LED's? is there a specific I might need to seed with? Might I consider some additional 'live rock' already seeded?

We don't have much data on the subject, but there appear to be different strains of coralline that do well under different lighting. If you could find a tank with coralline growing under lights similar to your own, that'd probably work. You could consider getting a chunk of live rock or "coralline boosters" from various vendors. Coralline doesn't seem to spread as easily as bacteria, so you'll need to add some from some source.