Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=212)
-   -   to keep the RODI-90-10 (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2662742)

fishdip22 12/29/2017 11:09 AM

to keep the RODI-90-10

So I am not sure what to do, I no longer have the need for the amount of RO-water I use to but I do need some RO-water. Right now I have a SpectraPure MAXCAP-RODI-90-10 the issue is I don't need 90gal a day I only use 3-4 gal a week and with a water change I am only needing 8gal extra every 2 weeks. The issue is I don't 100% trust the Fish stores around me as each time I have gotten RO water from them I was able to get a 1-5TDS on the TDS meter. so I was thinking can I get store RO water and just running it in a bucket with a duel DI resin stage? Also how long will DI resin last if it was in the original package and store in 70ish temp as the ones I have are 4-5 years old.

top shelf 12/29/2017 12:49 PM

I would keep the system for sure. As for storing water a 55g food grade brute trash can works great. Fill it up and let it sit till needed, as long as nothing gets into it your good to go. I fill mine about once a month or so without any I'll effects and many people store water this way for extended periods of time. While the brute can is pretty standard some have opted for other containers as well. It's also better for your di membrane to run 50g in one shot vs 3-4g at time. As for the older di resin I would think as long as it's stored properly it should be fine. If uncertain you can always install, run a proper break in period, then test tds to know for sure. Hth

fishdip22 12/29/2017 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by top shelf (Post 25316100)
I would keep the system for sure. As for storing water a 55g food grade brute trash can works great. Fill it up and let it sit till needed, as long as nothing gets into it your good to go. I fill mine about once a month or so without any I'll effects and many people store water this way for extended periods of time. While the brute can is pretty standard some have opted for other containers as well. It's also better for your di membrane to run 50g in one shot vs 3-4g at time. As for the older di resin I would think as long as it's stored properly it should be fine. If uncertain you can always install, run a proper break in period, then test tds to know for sure. Hth

Thanks I think its still good as I add 3gallons of water in a bucket and started running it water was at 5-6 tds and now in bucket down to 0-1 tds :bounce3:

LeJeune981 12/30/2017 12:39 PM

Have you considered a smaller ro membrane ?

My spectra pure rodi came with a 100 gallon per day membrane... when it was time to change that membrane... I purchased a 50 gallon per day membrane..
It's a bit slow though for doing good water changes.. so I may opt to get a 75 gpd membrane next year

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

fishdip22 12/30/2017 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeJeune981 (Post 25317039)
Have you considered a smaller ro membrane ?

My spectra pure rodi came with a 100 gallon per day membrane... when it was time to change that membrane... I purchased a 50 gallon per day membrane..
It's a bit slow though for doing good water changes.. so I may opt to get a 75 gpd membrane next year

Will smaller ones fit?

LeJeune981 12/30/2017 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishdip22 (Post 25317072)
Will smaller ones fit?

Yes

I'm not 100 percent sure... but i do believe most all newer ro membranes are universal dimension wise

Misled 12/30/2017 02:03 PM

If you change the gpd of the membrane, you also should change the flow restrictor to match the new membrane.

outssider 01/01/2018 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misled (Post 25317112)
If you change the gpd of the membrane, you also should change the flow restrictor to match the new membrane.

or better yet, make yourself an adjustable flow restrictor then you can use what ever size ro membrane you like

fishdip22 01/02/2018 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outssider (Post 25319048)
or better yet, make yourself an adjustable flow restrictor then you can use what ever size ro membrane you like

Any good links on this?

outssider 01/02/2018 06:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
here is a picture of the one I made. All parts are available at a hardware store (home depot/lowes). It's the brass thing.