Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Reef Chemistry Forum (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Dinoflagettes and fish ; not a question I’ve seen (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2685899)

duraace9sp 10/29/2018 06:18 AM

Dinoflagettes and fish ; not a question I’ve seen

After fighting dino’s For more than a year and even getting them under control, being the type of nut I am I’ve begun breaking down this tank. All rock and corals etc will are gone. I will not reuse anything! My question is I have 3 fish (pets) that I need to retain. An anthias and two clowns.

My question/concern is I’ve gone through literally thousands of dollars and hours. I want zero risk of bringing anything to the new tank. How can I be certain the fish are not carrying any remnant of the dino’s? How can I clean them twitch complete assurance they have nothing detrimental remaining?

Comments?

Thx

bertoni 10/29/2018 08:39 PM

I don't think there's any practical way to do that. You could try a freshwater dip, and possible some sort of antimicrobial dip.

duraace9sp 10/31/2018 06:28 AM

Ok.....I am struggling as I have gone to such extremes to start over on this tank. I intend to add a bunch of bleach to the tank and sump running the skimmer and pumps for a week or so....then begin the draining scraping and rinsing - change all piping etc. dumping the whole tank I hate to risk reintroducing.....

Pslreefer 10/31/2018 07:39 AM

Ok so sell the fish

Tripod1404 10/31/2018 10:54 AM

Imo if your tanks conditions (water chemistry, nutrients, light ,etc.) are appropriate for Dino, they will come back regardless of what you do(unless you dont add anything wet and keep it as a sterile water box). They are not uncommon and I assume all tanks have dinos in small numbers. The key is preventing them from taking over.

sfdan 11/01/2018 01:54 AM

I once was in your shoes and was breaking down a tank full of Dinos and starting a new tank that I was going to do everything to prevent the Dinos from getting into. All new equipment, never any contamination between the tanks. I was going to freshwater dip all the fish to kill the dinos.

And then when the new tank finished the cycle, before I even thought about moving over any fish, I got a brand new clean-up crew from a few online retailers, and guess what, the Dinos were back. They came with the clean up crew. Then I realized I'd just have to beat them, and I did. I spent many months battling them but once I understood the right battle plan, I wiped them out relatively quickly and they have stayed wiped out.

So before you go crazy and sell all your fish: What types of dinos do you have and what has been your strategy to keep them under control?

clevername 11/01/2018 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfdan (Post 25515999)
I once was in your shoes and was breaking down a tank full of Dinos and starting a new tank that I was going to do everything to prevent the Dinos from getting into. All new equipment, never any contamination between the tanks. I was going to freshwater dip all the fish to kill the dinos.

And then when the new tank finished the cycle, before I even thought about moving over any fish, I got a brand new clean-up crew from a few online retailers, and guess what, the Dinos were back. They came with the clean up crew. Then I realized I'd just have to beat them, and I did. I spent many months battling them but once I understood the right battle plan, I wiped them out relatively quickly and they have stayed wiped out.

So before you go crazy and sell all your fish: What types of dinos do you have and what has been your strategy to keep them under control?

+1 if your go to is to start over for issues, this isnt a good hobby for that. With that said, ill take your fish :) :)

Keep the maintenance up