Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Anemones & Clownfish (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Can I add other clown fish with my Percula Pair I already have? (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2303464)

katcon 06/12/2013 01:17 PM

Can I add other clown fish with my Percula Pair I already have?

I have 150G in wall that already has a pair of Percula's in it. They have been in the tank about 2 years and I would like to add another clown of some sort. Maybe a Maroon, Pink, or maybe a Tomato Clown. Is 150g to small to add a third clown since the other two are cleary established and were added at the same time? I also have a flame Angel, 2 Firefish, and 3 PJ Cardinals in the tank as well. Thanks for the input.

RockOn681 06/12/2013 01:27 PM

This is just my personal experience, I know some people have some success with this, but there might still be some aggression even in a tank of this size. I have a few types of clowns in separate tanks, and can tell you straight out that maroon clowns become very territorial and can be aggressive even with other species. I would be cautious with that addition

seamonkey84 06/12/2013 01:40 PM

Only one clown pair/species per tank unless you can make a wall to divide them from seeing each other and have a nem on both sides to keep them there.

ounvme247 06/12/2013 02:32 PM

I have always been told once u have a pair In your tank u couldnt add another one.

blueroof 06/13/2013 07:52 AM

I have 3 pairs of clowns in a 1200 gallon tank. Ocellaris, Maroon, Tomato. They all host in bubble tips. Even though thier territories are 5 feet apart and visually seperated there is still occassional aggression when the 4inch female tomato ventures out to kick some ***. This would never work in a 150. The Ocellaris's stay in one tiny area and never leave.

tilo 06/19/2013 08:13 PM

When you add clowns you must do it all together. It is possible of keeping more than one pair, but if you don't add them together like in your case, they will make the whole tank their territory.
Think of it like this, if you give your clowns an anemone they will make it their home per say, they are not going to allow any other clowns into their home. Only the female will stay in the home and occasionally will allow the male to take a nap on there. Well once they have become comfortable with the tank, they will make the whole tank their "anemone" which they do not want to have no other clown around.
From experience of watching clowns kill clowns, to save money and play it safe just add em together.

I have tried a concept in FRESHWATER that works with cichlids, which are too territorial is to go in one day and move some rock work around which makes a whole new territory. & also adding the new fish at this time with the lights off, But this is saltwater, I understand people have aquascapes and corals that probably shouldn't be moved. Just an idea.

Good Luck

AliciaP 06/19/2013 08:18 PM

I kept one pair for 2 years, then added a second pair in my 120gallon. The original pair are now spawning and they have no fights.

AliciaP 06/19/2013 08:35 PM

A little more info - I have a RBTA, that one Snowflake clown started using recently. They quarrel a little bit if one of the snows comes in and checks out the eggs, but other than that, they are very friendly.

D-Nak 06/19/2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tilo (Post 21629622)
When you add clowns you must do it all together. It is possible of keeping more than one pair, but if you don't add them together like in your case, they will make the whole tank their territory.
Think of it like this, if you give your clowns an anemone they will make it their home per say, they are not going to allow any other clowns into their home. Only the female will stay in the home and occasionally will allow the male to take a nap on there. Well once they have become comfortable with the tank, they will make the whole tank their "anemone" which they do not want to have no other clown around.
From experience of watching clowns kill clowns, to save money and play it safe just add em together.

I have tried a concept in FRESHWATER that works with cichlids, which are too territorial is to go in one day and move some rock work around which makes a whole new territory. & also adding the new fish at this time with the lights off, But this is saltwater, I understand people have aquascapes and corals that probably shouldn't be moved. Just an idea.

Good Luck

This will NOT work with clowns. Some clown species are inherently more aggressive than others. It doesn't matter when they are added, even at the same time. For example, if a pair of percs and a pair of maroons are added at the same time, the maroons will overpower the percs. If the percs are using a BTA as their host, and maroons are added later, the maroons will again overpower the percs and will take over the BTA, especially since it's their native host anemone. It doesn't matter if the percs have lived in the BTA for years, they'll be kicked out in no time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AliciaP (Post 21629639)
I kept one pair for 2 years, then added a second pair in my 120gallon. The original pair are now spawning and they have no fights.

As AliciaP mentioned, sometimes it works with percs and ocellaris, but not all the time. It wouldn't work with the species you mentioned. Tomatoes and maroons are very territorial, and will overpower the percs. You may be able to house all three for a short time if the tomato or maroon is very small, but once it gets bigger, either it or the pair will need to be removed.

tilo 06/19/2013 11:56 PM

[QUOTE=D-Nak;21629719]This will NOT work with clowns. Some clown species are inherently more aggressive than others. It doesn't matter when they are added, even at the same time. For example, if a pair of percs and a pair of maroons are added at the same time, the maroons will overpower the percs. If the percs are using a BTA as their host, and maroons are added later, the maroons will again overpower the percs and will take over the BTA, especially since it's their native host anemone. It doesn't matter if the percs have lived in the BTA for years, they'll be kicked out in no time.

Definitely not the case, a maroon is not going to over power a perc everytime, size plays a big factor, how old each clown is too, and also if the perc is wild caught it could be more aggressive in nature. Another factor to weigh in is, is there a pair or mated pair of clowns? If so they will stand their ground.

A little off the aggressive topic, I have seen 2 pairs of skunk adults and a pair of perc adult as well in the same tank just having their own anemone. so i mean it is possible don't get me wrong. IMO if you have the money and have no attachment take the risk. I would personally play it safe though. call me chicken :)

I apologize D-Nak as you did mention size in your post, I only read one half. I believe size does play a big role. The aggressiveness statement you gave is also on the money but it is still possible. I have seen a lot of tanks in my life (not saying that you haven't), some stuff that I swear can't go in together in customers tanks eventually end up in the same tank and nothing happens. Mainly with eels and clowns are the major ones.

J Money 06/20/2013 06:52 AM

Ive always been taught not to add more clowns but there is always an exception to the rule...like Alicia got. It's been said before but I can tell you from first hand experience that Maroons are VERY aggresive, if youre really adamit about adding another pair then and dont mind if something happends to the clowns ...then take a chance and try adding another pair of percs or ocellaris...just be on stand by if something goes down

OrionN 06/20/2013 08:00 AM

I think reefers had success with adding two pairs in a relatively large tank but they need to be not too aggressive clown species like Pink Skunk, Ocellaris or Percula. Often they were added with their host at the some time so that they stay around their natural hosts. The tank have to be reasonably large, they should be at least 3 or more feet from each other. Even when all of these requirements are met, there is no guarantee that this will work.<O:p</O:p
I had a Pink Skunk pair and Ocellaris trio in the past in my 450 gal, 8 foot tank. Each pair had their own Magnifica. Both pairs were breeding at the time the tank crashed and I lost them along with their hosts.

bues0022 06/20/2013 02:16 PM

My rule of thumb on the topic: If you have to ask this question, you don't have the knowledge base to be able to attempt this without an extremely high liklihood of dead fish.

Can it be done: Yes.
Is it likely to end well: No

Everyone can find an example that either promotes or puts down the other viewpoint. Saying, "I did it once", or "my buddy had 16 in his tank" in no way is a predictor for the fish and behavior in this persons tank. Clowns are individuals, and each react differenently in given situations. It might work, but the odds are definitely against you.

aj2494 06/22/2013 02:30 PM

I bought my 55 used with three ocellaris. They were a pair with the third just doing whatever. I actually had the pair breeding until (being a foolish and misguided noob) I bought a dwarf lion and he ate everything in the tank. It's absolutely possible but it depends on and varies wildly with the individual fish involved.