Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   New to the Hobby (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Quarantine Help (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2676421)

Bryce H. 05/18/2018 06:05 AM

Quarantine Help

So I’m building my DT right now (finishing up PVC plumbing then ready to start cycling) but I have a couple questions about setting up a QT tank as id like to quarantine while my tank is cycling to speed up getting fish into DT. I am thinking either a 20L or 29G for the quarantine. I have a Fluval 406 canister filter that is brand new and not being used. Here are my questions.

Should I use the canister filter I have or buy a sponge filter?

How can I seed the tank as I don’t have any filter media from an established tank? Can I use Dr. Tim’s to get some bacteria into the canister or sponge?

If I do canister, should I buy a small powerhead for flow and more surface aggitation for oxygen exchange?

If I do use the canister, I will be removing carbon if I medicate (still haven’t decided if I’m going to go with a QT to monitor or do preventative medicating)

nereefpat 05/18/2018 07:35 AM

A 20L or 29 is great size for a qt, as long as you aren't buying huge fish. How big is the display, or what fish will you be quarantining, by the way?

If you want to use a filter in the qt, then the canister will be fine. As you said, carbon would need to be removed if you are medicating. I wouldn't bother with a powerhead (unless trying to qt an Achilles/sohal tang etc). Just point the return of the canister at the surface. I just use an air stone with no filter.

A bacterial starter like dr tim's would be fine. Another way to manage ammonia is just monitor it and do water changes and add Prime as needed.

Another thing...Don't rush. Take your time. Don't add everything at once. Nothing good happens fast here.

Thornbreaker 05/18/2018 07:48 AM

You can totally be QTing while you're still setting up your display tank. I did the same thing. Just moved my 2 clowns over to the DT yesterday that were in QT since February. Gave me a good chance to practice water changes, feeding, observation, etc too.

I also did Tank Transfer Method prior to placing my 2 clowns into a 20 gallon QT. I'd recommend it. I did cycle my QT, but what nereefpat says is true to, you can do it either way. If you cycle it, you just need to make sure there's enough surface area. I had a HOB filter and an air sponge.

Bryce H. 05/18/2018 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nereefpat (Post 25439235)
A 20L or 29 is great size for a qt, as long as you aren't buying huge fish. How big is the display, or what fish will you be quarantining, by the way?

If you want to use a filter in the qt, then the canister will be fine. As you said, carbon would need to be removed if you are medicating. I wouldn't bother with a powerhead (unless trying to qt an Achilles/sohal tang etc). Just point the return of the canister at the surface. I just use an air stone with no filter.

A bacterial starter like dr tim's would be fine. Another way to manage ammonia is just monitor it and do water changes and add Prime as needed.

Another thing...Don't rush. Take your time. Don't add everything at once. Nothing good happens fast here.

I have a 75G display and initial quarantine is going to be 2 clowns. Possibly a few chromis as well, all from a LFS that friends of mine in the hobby trust very well and have never once gotten a fish with any illness from them. Still quarantining obviously, even with their excellent track record.

nereefpat 05/18/2018 08:18 AM

20L or 29 will be perfect for that. Good luck.

Bryce H. 05/18/2018 08:33 AM

Thanks for the help and quick response!

Bryce H. 05/18/2018 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nereefpat (Post 25439267)
20L or 29 will be perfect for that. Good luck.

One last question and it may be a dumb one... After adding dr Tim’s, do I want to add the ammonium chloride and let it cycle or add it them add fish about a day or so later? Just want to make sure I do it correctly... I’ve heard both...

Thornbreaker 05/19/2018 07:56 AM

If you add ammonia to start cycling, you'll need to wait till cycle is complete to add fish.

So if you dose to 2ppm ammonia, add bacteria, then wait for ammonia to drop to 0. And preferably nitrites to 0 as well. It may take a few days to as long as weeks even with Dr. Tim's.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Bryce H. 05/20/2018 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thornbreaker (Post 25439862)
If you add ammonia to start cycling, you'll need to wait till cycle is complete to add fish.

So if you dose to 2ppm ammonia, add bacteria, then wait for ammonia to drop to 0. And preferably nitrites to 0 as well. It may take a few days to as long as weeks even with Dr. Tim's.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

What would you recommend doing? I’ve heard to add bacteria then add fish and they’ll produce the ammonia through feeding and waste. Or you can cycle it, or you can my cycle it and just never allow it to get to that point by water changes or other means... looking for what’s going to be easiest and safest for fish.

lagatbezan 05/20/2018 11:37 AM

you can also use instant ocean bio-spira. It has live bacteria in it that will instantly cycle your qt. I usually put a sponge in a cup and add the bio spira to the sponge. Let it sit for half a day and then put it in the qt.
Also get an ammonia badge. They are great.
I still suggest doing regular water changes for the qt.