Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Corallimorpharians (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   Any tricks to keeping yumas? (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2161796)

Kurtl000 04/23/2012 07:23 PM

Any tricks to keeping yumas?

Ive had yumas in the past and a few have melted on me. My LFS got alot of really nice ones so I'm thinking of giving them a try again. I have a 25gallon cube lit with an illumagic m45s LED.

WCreef 04/23/2012 07:31 PM

Following along. I can't keep yumas either..same thing happens to me.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

ThatAquariumKid 04/23/2012 08:42 PM

low light, low flow keeps my Yuma's a glow!
thats all i do

Kurtl000 04/24/2012 07:24 AM

K anybody else? Would like a few experiences.

philosophile 04/24/2012 08:23 AM

Wish I could tell you something more, but mine melted on me about 3 weeks to a month after I put them in my tank. My avatar is all I have left of one. I put them in low light low flow, and they still melted.

I'm really at a loss as to why they didn't make it. Left them on the frag disc, etc. I'm wondering if I shouldn't have dipped them. Maybe shipping plus the dip was too much for them? But I'm also paranoid about hitchhikers too so... I might just wait a really long time to try again.

itz216 04/24/2012 10:30 AM

yuma

Just my experience ...

I have an orange yuma. I had it at the bottom of a 72 bowfront with 6/54W-T5. The thing didn't do much for a year+. Then I moved it up to the top 1/3 of the tank ...WOW, in a matter of several months it doubled in size and color intensity - and climbed to the top of the rock ( just 4" from the surface). Now it's dropping babies ( 5 at last count).

Downside is it "burns" just about everything in its path.

Easily Distracted 04/24/2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatAquariumKid (Post 20172984)
low light, low flow keeps my Yuma's a glow!
thats all i do

+1

I have 3 different varieties down low and off to the side where they are way out of the center of my metal halide. They get a consistant but low flow that brings them nutrients from the water column. When I first placed them where they are, they sat for a couple of months without much happening other than growing a little, then started multiplying. My largest one frequently moves around the large rock she's on leaving little clones behind in her tracks.

Kurtl000 04/24/2012 12:41 PM

The orange ones at my lfs are loving the T5s. Ill get a pic of those and the premium ones

lps keeper 04/24/2012 02:46 PM

mine are on the bottom of a 18 inche tall tank with t5ho 6x24w in low flow. I find that a pe mysis a couple of times a week helps them grow.

Rudolph 04/24/2012 02:47 PM

My experience is the lighting and water flow are very important (I guess like anything else unh?). I added more flow to my tank and it hit my Yuma's (indirectly) and they retracted and did not come out until I turned the new pump off. I lost a few when my heater broke a few months ago, but they have rebounded and smaller new ones have filled in. I have some orange ones that are partially shaded and they seem to really be doing much better. The ones in the brighter area are just some brown ones.

I have T5's. I will see if I can find a link some pics of where they were in my 75G.

Okay, I think this link will take you to the pics...http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...4#post19903724

I cannot open pics from my office computer (healthcare company security thing), but this should be a pic of my rics and yumas. If not, I will try to add the actual pics tonight. I think it was before I added some green ones and orange ones....

So, I think if you can find the right water flow and light, you are golden...but it sounds like you have a short window to make it happy..LOL

reefbooger 04/25/2012 09:31 AM

I purchased 2 Yuma colonies from my LFS recently, each containing about 10 individuals. Got them home and aclimated them at the same time, introduced them to my DT at the same time and positioned them right next to each other in my DT. The next day, one colony was open and looking incredible, and the other was shrivled and some appeared to be releasing themselves from the rock. They never got that far though, all the Yumas in that one colony melted except for one. The other rock is fine. I have no way to explain why or how this happened but I've been keeping Yuma for several years and its a problem that I've always had to deal with. Hit or Miss.

Das awesome 04/29/2012 07:09 PM

I keep mine in high lighting and medium flow. They seem to be thriving since they have been there well over a year, but none have reproduced yet. One day.

philosophile 05/01/2012 09:25 AM

I think it has something to do with the individual needs of the specific shroom. Some shrooms seem to do well with low, others with high light etc. Also I suspect that some varieties are far more hardy than others. The one I see the most often is the solid reddish orange one. After that light orange with a sort of cream outline and lines coming out from the mouth. Those two, seem particularly hardy.

I'm also pretty sure there is something immunological going on. The stress from moving, makes it prone to infection, which slowly kills it over the course of a month or two.

syrinx 05/05/2012 09:00 PM

I see the most problems with ricordia and yumas in tanks where the Alk is kept higher than natural ocean water. They are especially sensitive to the addition of buffers and two parts. I think when we look at how easy ricordia and yumas- as well as several typpes of LPS were in "the old days" we should look at what we do differently now. Overskimming and the addition of alk and ca are two major differences.

j.p. harrington 05/08/2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Das awesome (Post 20195275)
I keep mine in high lighting and medium flow. They seem to be thriving since they have been there well over a year, but none have reproduced yet. One day.

i have my nuclear green yumas in the top 1/3 of my 75 pretty much directly under the light. they love it and they are in very strong flow aswell

i started with id say 8 on the rock and now i probably have approx. 60-70 on it

i think that it helps when there is more than one yuma or florida present in the system in close proximity of one another that helps them multiply.

think of it like they are fighting for survival if they dont reproduce faster than the other one then they might "die out"

but thats my experience and theories with them

what works for some doesnt always work for others.

DrBlueThumb 05/29/2012 02:04 PM

mine are doing fairly good and I constantly propagate them.

I have a 29G 12" deep aquarium and 10G refuge with 6 t5 h.o, 4 hydor nano's, mag 3 lift pump, and fluval 305 canister filter.

coral beauty and no skimmer

moshi1ry 05/29/2012 02:47 PM

Wish i could find the article on here about keeping yumas. Ive personally never had one but have heard some people say that yumas are one of the hardest corals to ship and just dont do well when they have to be transported. My guess is if they melted it was because of the transportation.

moshi1ry 05/29/2012 02:48 PM

Also id say if your serious about keeping yumas i would not buy them online and watch them at your LFS maybe.

bruby 05/29/2012 06:06 PM

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/...h_2a7ffcd7.jpg
http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/...h_7fa938f1.jpg

Mine are right in the middle of the tank on the sand. They don't get much flow there and seem to like it. The less light the bigger they stretch out.

NMC 05/29/2012 07:29 PM

There might be something to that post about the higher alk. My tank is pretty new and my ricordea is doing great (had it about a month). I'm thinking "beginners luck," but I have very low alk. I've been trying to correct it, slowly, but not really getting very far very fast. Maybe that's why my ricordia is happy?

Monkeyfish 06/15/2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NMC (Post 20306404)
but I have very low alk. I've

What do you consider low? I have 2 reefs - a 75g SPS with an Alk of 9dkh and a 180g softy tank that I never check the parameters on. Of course all of the softies are doing great and the SPS tank that gets all of the attention is a PIA - keep losing corals and have trouble with the rest keeping their color.

akitareefer 06/27/2012 04:32 PM

I'm having trouble with my yumas too... florida rics are doing awesome, so I don't understand. Thinking about putting it in a little tray to reduce almost all flow