Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   New to the Hobby (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Padding under Rimless tank (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2663213)

Paulb18c5 01/02/2018 03:58 PM

Padding under Rimless tank

I am hoping to get my tank finally filled here in the next week or so. I have a few things left to clean and organize but that is all. While I am still able to should I put some sort of padding under my aquarium? I have seen a lot of mixed reviews and the threads are quite old. I have checked and the tank is level. It is a rimless cadlights 70 on a custom wooden stand. What are your thoughts?

My previous IM Nuvo 38 (curved glass) Cracked on me and I don't want to have to go through that again. After doing some research on that it seems like it is a design flaw so not my fault.

Thank you!

fishkeeprian 01/02/2018 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulb18c5 (Post 25319940)
I am hoping to get my tank finally filled here in the next week or so. I have a few things left to clean and organize but that is all. While I am still able to should I put some sort of padding under my aquarium? I have seen a lot of mixed reviews and the threads are quite old. I have checked and the tank is level. It is a rimless cadlights 70 on a custom wooden stand. What are your thoughts?

My previous IM Nuvo 38 (curved glass) Cracked on me and I don't want to have to go through that again. After doing some research on that it seems like it is a design flaw so not my fault.

Thank you!

If its a new tank check with the manufacturer as this will affect your warranty if you don't follow their guideline.

I have a rimless and asked a similar question and yes if it's a rimless tank with no external bracing.

Polystyrene is what was recommended to me and it seems be the norm.

The polystyrene will compensate for any minor imperfections on your stand top.

Paulb18c5 01/02/2018 04:35 PM

It was a used Cadlights tank. There was nothing on there before, that is why I am doing some research.

JUNBUG361 01/02/2018 08:21 PM

I would put a mat between the tank & stand to help reduce pressure

homer1475 01/03/2018 04:24 AM

Yoga mat or foam insulation is what is recommended under a rimless tank.

The idea is that slight imperfections in the stand top could potentially cause stress points on the glass causing it to crack. With the padding it negates any imperfections and allows the entire tank to sit flat with no pressure points.

fishkeeprian 01/03/2018 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homer1475 (Post 25320409)
Yoga mat or foam insulation is what is recommended under a rimless tank.

The idea is that slight imperfections in the stand top could potentially cause stress points on the glass causing it to crack. With the padding it negates any imperfections and allows the entire tank to sit flat with no pressure points.

Sorry to hijack, but I siliconed my polystyrene to the top of my stand and placed the empty tank on top to even out the silicone, is this a problem?

homer1475 01/03/2018 06:41 AM

Depending on the thickness of the padding, but I would think even a 1/2" of padding wouldn't be an issue since the silicone will have a tendency to "even out" as opposed to leaving little ridges or peaks.

fishkeeprian 01/03/2018 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homer1475 (Post 25320444)
Depending on the thickness of the padding, but I would think even a 1/2" of padding wouldn't be an issue since the silicone will have a tendency to "even out" as opposed to leaving little ridges or peaks.

it's 1" thick polystyrene.

nereefpat 01/03/2018 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishkeeprian (Post 25320441)
Sorry to hijack, but I siliconed my polystyrene to the top of my stand and placed the empty tank on top to even out the silicone, is this a problem?

Now, why would you go and do that? Afraid it might run away?

I don't think it will be a problem, as long as it's still level.

fishkeeprian 01/03/2018 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nereefpat (Post 25320611)
Now, why would you go and do that? Afraid it might run away?

I don't think it will be a problem, as long as it's still level.

Not sure why I did it.

What do i need to make sure is level?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

nereefpat 01/03/2018 12:03 PM

I just meant that it's probably fine, as long as the surface is level, and there isn't lumps in the foam from globs of silicone.

A quick check with a spirit level, and the eyeball test is probably all that is needed.

Paulb18c5 01/03/2018 06:09 PM

Thank you everyone, I appreciate all your advice. I bit the bullet and picked up a sheet of 1/2 inch foam insulation. Like everyone said an inch of prevention goes a mile and having a tank crack on me once I don't want that happening again. I just have to paint the lip as I don't want a pink boarder around the bottom of the tank. Has anyone done this before?

homer1475 01/03/2018 06:21 PM

I used a fat sharpie on mine. Of course my stand is black.