Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Seahorses & Pipefish (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Breeding & Rasing ORA H. kuda (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1877559)

Justyn 07/15/2010 01:10 PM

Breeding & Rasing ORA H. kuda

Quick question in regards to ORA's strain of H. kuda. Are the babies pelagic? What first foods have other people started them on?

rayjay 07/15/2010 05:25 PM

Yes, they would be pelagic.
Depending on the size of the fry, they may need to be started out with enriched rotifers followed by enriched on grown bbs.
If the fry are quite large, (and that depends on the specific type of kuda as some are a lot larger than others) you may be able to start them right off on enriched ongrown bbs.
Best enrichment is Dan's Feed with Beta Glucan from seahorsesource.com.

Justyn 07/15/2010 07:55 PM

Have you bred this species strain before or read this? I know some of the strains are bethenic and will eat bb's from the start. Rotifers are no problem and I already have the kreisel setup. I just wanted to be sure. I was sold this pair as H. reidi from a LFS that bought just got them in from ORA, but I am pretty sure they are H. kuda and the store got the species confused.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayjay (Post 17375665)
Yes, they would be pelagic.
Depending on the size of the fry, they may need to be started out with enriched rotifers followed by enriched on grown bbs.
If the fry are quite large, (and that depends on the specific type of kuda as some are a lot larger than others) you may be able to start them right off on enriched ongrown bbs.
Best enrichment is Dan's Feed with Beta Glucan from seahorsesource.com.

rayjay 07/15/2010 10:35 PM

H. reidi is the species I have raised but am currently hoping for fry from erectus which are benthic.
I know of no kuda that are benthic, just pelagic ones that are large enough to start off with enriched ongrown bbs.
RAISING REIDI FRY
How sure are you that you even have ORA seahorses because it has been suggested on the "org" as recently as July 11 and 12 in the seahorse keeping forum there, that ora has basically gotten out of raising their own seahorses.
Some stores claim to be selling ORA seahorses to influence sales so it can be difficult.
What means of identification did you use?
Can you post clear, close up profile shots of the seahorses to see what others think of the species?

Justyn 07/15/2010 11:53 PM

I'm fairly certain they came from ORA. Not only did the store tell me they came from ORA, but I purchased them within hours of them getting them direct from ORA and they had other ORA species come in with that shipment Spotted Mandarin babies. The store is very professional and I don't have any reason to doubt them where they came from.

As for photos, I'll take them tomorrow and we'll give it a go.

The reason I doubt them being H. reidi is two fold. One, they were labled as Yellow Seahorses and I assumed them were H. reidi when I inquired about them (because a few weeks prior they had WC H. reidi for sale under that name). They told me there were H. reidi (after I brought up that name), however they look EXTREMELY similar to my H. kuda I already have. On Ora's website they also label their H. kuda as "Yellow Seahorses." They just don't seem to fit H. reidi as the knob on their head is just way too prominent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayjay (Post 17376889)
H. reidi is the species I have raised but am currently hoping for fry from erectus which are benthic.
I know of no kuda that are benthic, just pelagic ones that are large enough to start off with enriched ongrown bbs.
RAISING REIDI FRY
How sure are you that you even have ORA seahorses because it has been suggested on the "org" as recently as July 11 and 12 in the seahorse keeping forum there, that ora has basically gotten out of raising their own seahorses.
Some stores claim to be selling ORA seahorses to influence sales so it can be difficult.
What means of identification did you use?
Can you post clear, close up profile shots of the seahorses to see what others think of the species?

Justyn 07/16/2010 04:04 PM

It got more strange today. I called the LFS and was told ORA sent them H. erectus, but sometimes they send H. reidi, but they have never gotten H. kuda from them. Guess pics will help.

timinnl 07/20/2010 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justyn (Post 17379816)
It got more strange today. I called the LFS and was told ORA sent them H. erectus, but sometimes they send H. reidi, but they have never gotten H. kuda from them. Guess pics will help.

That does sound very strange? Would they be willing to show you an invoice from ORA. Have you try to contact ORA? Because last I heard they are not breeding seahorses themselves at the moment.

floridazooguy 07/21/2010 10:54 AM

ray jay
They are most likely ORA seahorses. They do have 3 kinds in stock now but it does not mean they are raised at ORA. They do out source but only to high quality places.

namxas 07/21/2010 01:28 PM

Many breeders quit breeding kuda due to the influx of poor-quality, cheap "pen-raised" kuda from Sri Lanka and SE Asia that glutted the market for awhile. Now that this species is no longer being shipped, a few breeders have started working on them again.

I'm not sure if ORA is actually breeding the kuda they offer or not. As mentioned, as they were selling SH from other breeders for awhile. I do believe Dan at SH Source is currently breeding them and they are currently available.

In the past, Dan had very good results breeding kuda, and I imagine that his expertise with them is even much better now.

HTH

lucycat 07/21/2010 04:27 PM

over here we had a lot of very poor quality vibro riddled kudas.
i have a seahorse and pipefish book that states the hong kong seahorse as hippocampus cf kuda but it has a slightly longer snout and smaller spine nose and estuary seahorse as hippocampus kuda but it states also that h kuda are based on various smooth species this is where alot of confusion is coming in.
the book i use is seahorses ,pipefish and their relatives by rudie h kuiter.it is an interesting book as it has detailed info on over 350 species of seahorse and pipefish and seperates some that were thought to be the same species.but going back to the bethnic and pelagic fry kudas are pelagic but have a much shorter pelagic stage then reidis and are larger so as rayjay says can be started on larger foods.

subielover 10/15/2010 05:36 PM

As far as I know, ORA is selling Kudas, and I believe they are getting them from Brazil.