Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Responsible Reefkeeping (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=225)
-   -   proposed Hawaii ban (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2165653)

igot2gats 05/03/2012 10:01 AM

proposed Hawaii ban

Reading an article in the March/April issue of CORAL Mag, it said there has been some substantial movement on the ban of fishing marine animals in Hawaii.

However, some businesses have gotten involved like MACNA and LiveAquaria, saying that it's possible to regulate it, so that it's not over fished.

Anyone think this will actually happen where an all out ban will be implemented?

i Tuna 05/03/2012 12:47 PM

Not unless it's to someone's benefit.

GreshamH 05/03/2012 06:38 PM

MACNA is not a business, its a conference owned by MASNA, an NPO.

Zobp 05/03/2012 07:46 PM

I can only imagine if something like this went through all the prices for local species would go up. Even if it was regulated I can imagine prices increasing...

albano 05/03/2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zobp (Post 20212327)
I can only imagine if something like this went through all the prices for local species would go up.

local to where?

igot2gats 05/04/2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

I can only imagine if something like this went through all the prices for local species would go up. Even if it was regulated I can imagine prices increasing...

I think prices for any kind of livestock would go up. That would be really, really terrible as it would cause even more people to get out of the hobby.

igot2gats 05/04/2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

And even worse, people who are thinking about getting in, to not even try pursuing it anymore.

kpg007 05/04/2012 12:39 PM

THe priority should be about sustainability. From what I've read, yellow tangs have been almost wiped out in some areas, and what were once huge schools of yellow tangs are down to a small hand full, all because of over fishing for the aquarium trade.
Yes I have one in my tank, but I'd rather pay a bit more to ensure that these animals remain plentiful in nature.

GreshamH 05/04/2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpg007 (Post 20214991)
THe priority should be about sustainability. From what I've read, yellow tangs have been almost wiped out in some areas, and what were once huge schools of yellow tangs are down to a small hand full, all because of over fishing for the aquarium trade.
Yes I have one in my tank, but I'd rather pay a bit more to ensure that these animals remain plentiful in nature.

You're not reading the science if that is what you are reading. The transects show a different story.